Glass Cat Fish Fry? Bristle Nose Fry?

wenchybev

Reaction score
:unsure: I posted a message in the beginners forum but recieved no replies as yet so i think i'll be better posting here

Ive got several tanks and had to rehouse one of my glass catfish into another for a few days as he/she seemed to be being bullied, anyway removed him/her about 4 weeks ago and today ive found what appears to be baby fry swimming in the tank. The appearance is identical to that of a glass catifsh but the size is so tiny ...maybe a millimeter across and max 3 millimeters long. Clinging to the glass but do swim if that helps?

Ive only managed to find 2 fry and have put them into a small floating dish until someone can advise me on what they are and how to care for them.

I'm used to breeding guppies, mollies etc (live bearers), these babies are smaller than endler guppy fry, never seen anything so tiny.

The only other possible fish i have in the tank are bristle nose catfish, male & female i presumme as one is bristly and the other isnt. Do their eggs hatch into clear fry that look like glass fish

I have tried to get a picture but even on macro the fry are too small to get a photo, sorry

Any advice on what to feed / how to care for them ?

Young bristlenoses look like tiny versions of the adults so i can say its not one of those but you would have need a male and a female glass cat in the tank to fertilise eggs.

Grow the fry out and see what it grows into, a liquid fry food like Liquifry #1 is suitable for raising most tiny fry until they are big enough to start eating chopped bloodworms and powdered flake.

i had a similiar case several months ago. i found fry after moving my glass cats to a larger tank, they were just as you described and i thought they were cats for a little while. ive read a lot about glass cats and am aware that very little is known about their breeding along with the fact that they haven't been bred in aquaria. i was skeptical about my fry being young cats, and indeed my gut was right - they have grown to be Danio rerio (zebra danio).

Most reactions

Back