Glass Bow

Destination Doha

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi all after geting a long spirit level from b&g for a new shead base . like the kid i am went round the house seing what was level and what wasnt . and while mucking about put the level up against the front glass of my 3ft tank and to my horror it had a bow in the middle of it !! Shocked i estermate it to bulge about 3-mm .so i thourt what about my big tank and to shure enuf it also had a bow but this time over the 7feet front glass panel it was about 8mm .is this normal ? im really a bit worried now has any one els put a strait edge up against their tank to see if it has a bow? any help may make me sleep a bit better Shocked

3 mm is no big deal. All tanks are flexible to some degree, we can't afford to waste all the material it would take to prevent them bowing a little. My 29 gallon tank, at 30 inches long, bows outward along the top by about 5 mm. So far it has sat that way with my fish in it for about 6 years. Even a little 10 gallon tank, only 20 inches long, will bow out 2 or 3 mm.

3 mm is no big deal. All tanks are flexible to some degree, we can't afford to waste all the material it would take to prevent them bowing a little. My 29 gallon tank, at 30 inches long, bows outward along the top by about 5 mm. So far it has sat that way with my fish in it for about 6 years. Even a little 10 gallon tank, only 20 inches long, will bow out 2 or 3 mm.

+1 for the above ;) My 30" was braceless when new. Approching 5 yesrs old now. Bows just like Oldman says although I don't know the exact measurements. no problems ;)

AC

Most reactions

Back