Glass And Lights

Rorie

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My tank has about 1/3 or its surface covered by glass braces. My lights are about six inches about this. The rest is all open.

My parrot has decided it is fun to drop things in the aquarium!

I have glass chopping board/ worktop protector things which bridge the gaps perfectly! So not around 80% of the top of the aquarium is covered in glass.

How will this effect the lights getting into my tank? Will it effect my plants badly?

i'd be very careful having a bird over your tank,the dust off the feathers can kill fish, my bro-in-law had a bird cage over his tank then noticed his fish were dying, then someone in his work told him to move the cage.......no more dead fish

i'd be very careful having a bird over your tank,the dust off the feathers can kill fish, my bro-in-law had a bird cage over his tank then noticed his fish were dying, then someone in his work told him to move the cage.......no more dead fish

I don't see how that would harm fish. Birds are one of me most common mammals you find by water.

I would suggest getting a proper glass lid for your tank.

I don't see how that would harm fish. Birds are one of me most common mammals you find by water.

Not had any problems with bird dust killing fish....but i'll keep it in mind if i do have any issues.

The arrangement i have just now is doing a good job. I think ASDA designed these things for my tank i think :p Only concern is if adding a layer of glass between my light and the water is going to effect the light rays getting into my tank? It obviously still lights it up, but i wonder if there are any UV type rays which will be stopped which are good for my plants and/or fish?

I guess a proper lid would do the same job, but at a higher cost?

Not had any problems with bird dust killing fish....but i'll keep it in mind if i do have any issues.

The arrangement i have just now is doing a good job. I think ASDA designed these things for my tank i think :p Only concern is if adding a layer of glass between my light and the water is going to effect the light rays getting into my tank? It obviously still lights it up, but i wonder if there are any UV type rays which will be stopped which are good for my plants and/or fish?

Glass filters out UV, I don't know if it will cause a problem. I don't think anything needs UV to survive.

Why can't you put the glass above the lightsource? Or get a large placstic sheet and cut it to the size of your tank so it sits nicely on top

birds are common by the water, but this is a fish tank an artificial enviroment for fish,anyway am only goin on wot he said :good:

I don't know if bird feathers/dust harms fish or not, but the 'birds are common by water' doesn't really mean a lot - in nature any waste or toxins is massively diluted on a scale that fishkeepers could only dream of.

I don't know if bird feathers/dust harms fish or not, but the 'birds are common by water' doesn't really mean a lot - in nature any waste or toxins is massively diluted on a scale that fishkeepers could only dream of.
True, but ducks don't seem to harm koi ponds and those birds bathe in there amongst other things lol.

True, but ducks don't seem to harm koi ponds and those birds bathe in there amongst other things lol.

I doubt the dust was the killer, more like poop/pee and or other waste matter.

It's a shame ducks don't have control of their bumhole :lol:

I doubt the dust was the killer, more like poop/pee and or other waste matter.

It's a shame ducks don't have control of their bumhole :lol:
indeed lol

Most reactions

Back