Giving Tank A Face Lift

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

stacey3272

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well after loosing fish to ick. I am starting all over. So what better time to give a face lift.. I went to glass canopy instead of old standard black plastic ones. New lighting t5 dual lamp I guess god enough to try my hand at real plants. So i added a few plants. I am hoping fish soon... I am going from small community fish to maybe some angle fish. I want just a few nice bigger ones hanging around to watch. Any advice with angle fish all is welcome. 

What is the average amount of light do the plants need??  

I have
Tropica fern
Borneo sword
Rosette sword
Umbrella plant
I was told could mix these. I am really hope that was right. 

I hope to update  when I add fish very soon. I wanted to get the plants in for a bit then add the fish.

Thanks for taking time to read my post :)

Attachments

• IMG_9122.JPG
    IMG_9122.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9124.JPG
    IMG_9124.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 29
Unfortunately the umbrella plant is not truly aquatic, you'll need to take it out of the tank before it rots. Everyone can always add more plants to their tanks. Could go with easy things like wood with java fern/java moss/anubais. You could also go with some fake plants as well if you want to add a lot of coverage quickly and cheaply.

Usually people get 6 angel fish, let two of them pair off and return the other 4. They can get aggressive with their own kind.

Just wondering if your tank is fully cycled? Don't want you to put new fish in there and have issues.
How long ago did you have ich? Also don't want you putting fish in there and them getting it :/

Might I suggest a background for your tank?
Would definitely get some driftwood in there and tie one of the plants Dreamer recommended to it :)

Yes it should be cycled fine.its been up and running for two years.

I will take our the fern

I have had a lot of plastic plans that is the reasoning of moving to real plans 

ick was over a few weeks ago. lost all fish. did the hit temp and water changed with no fish for over a week or more. Just lowered temp a few days ago. to my under standing if no fish for the ick to live off from it will dye off. Per advice of others on here and article from on here.

Dreamer is a Plant type ?

already thought of a background. I want a natural looking one not all there colored ones. so not sure what to go with.

Thanks everyone for advise this is why I always come here :)

you could always start with a black one. rip open a plastic garbage bag and cut to size..
as for the plants, like everyone said.

I took the umbrella out :( why would they have it as a plant that can go n the tank if it should not be grrr are all the other ones I have be ok  how many  hour of light do they need..... such when closes pet shop is 60 miles 

Okay, was just checking
happy.png

Hehe, no, Dreamer is the one who recommended some plants to you, and I was just referring back to her.

I personally like black backgrounds but there should be a good bit of natural looking ones for you to choose from
http://www.petsmart.com/family/index.jsp?f=Taxonomy%2FPET%2F2769124&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo&categoryId=2769219&lmdn=Fish+Decor&f=Taxonomy%2FPET%2F2769219&fbc=1&fbn=Taxonomy%7CBackgrounds&fbx=0

Sorry for long/messy link!

It is unfortunate that the LFS sell non aquatic plants
sad.png
Wish they'd stop it.

My that is a bit of a drive. Have you tried googling to see if there is something closer that you may have missed? The one I go to now I never would've known it was there had I not searched for it.
Not sure how long you should be leaving your lights on, hopefully someone else can say. I leave mine on for 12 hours but I have really low lighting.

Ninjouzata said:
Okay, was just checking
happy.png

Hehe, no, Dreamer is the one who recommended some plants to you, and I was just referring back to her.

I personally like black backgrounds but there should be a good bit of natural looking ones for you to choose from
http://www.petsmart.com/family/index.jsp?f=Taxonomy%2FPET%2F2769124&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo&categoryId=2769219&lmdn=Fish+Decor&f=Taxonomy%2FPET%2F2769219&fbc=1&fbn=Taxonomy%7CBackgrounds&fbx=0

Sorry for long/messy link!

It is unfortunate that the LFS sell non aquatic plants
sad.png
Wish they'd stop it.

My that is a bit of a drive. Have you tried googling to see if there is something closer that you may have missed? The one I go to now I never would've known it was there had I not searched for it.
Not sure how long you should be leaving your lights on, hopefully someone else can say. I leave mine on for 12 hours but I have really low 

good.gif
  I put a couple black pillow cases behind it and I like the look I can not see how to put a picture in a replay on here or I was going to post the difference....I am going to have to research tomorrow how long for  light 

You can upload the pic to a photo sharing website such as photobucket and then link it here :)

Unfortunately, shops sell non-aquatic plants so they'll make more money. Plant rotting = you coming back to the LFS and getting another one, they'll probably say it was from a lack of nutrients and they'll try and sell you fertilisers. 

6-8 hours is the recommended time for the lights, you can have more or less, depending on your plants needs. 
Also, you don't have to have the lights on continuously, you can have them on for two hours, off for four, then back on for six (this is what I do on weekdays).

IMO black or blue are the best colour for backgrounds. Black makes the plants and fish stand out and blue can add depth to some tanks.

Blondielovesfish said:
Unfortunately, shops sell non-aquatic plants so they'll make more money. Plant rotting = you coming back to the LFS and getting another one, they'll probably say it was from a lack of nutrients and they'll try and sell you fertilisers. 

6-8 hours is the recommended time for the lights, you can have more or less, depending on your plants needs. 
Also, you don't have to have the lights on continuously, you can have them on for two hours, off for four, then back on for six (this is what I do on weekdays).

IMO black or blue are the best colour for backgrounds. Black makes the plants and fish stand out and blue can add depth to some tanks.
I like the black it makes the plants pop if they make it :) my normal hours of light when I have fish is about 9 so that will work nice. have root tabs coming for the swords and apiece of drift wood for the fern. Now its the picking of fish again. 

Blondielovesfish said:
Sounds good!

Do you have any ideas on what fish you want? Other than angel 
no open to suggestion I know not the mild tempered ones they have to be able to defend themselves I have read. any suggestion welcome. when I see videos i see these same ones with them but do not know there names. I am thinking maybe putting dirt with some sand over it this weekend for the plants. so hard to know what to do to have a healthy happy tank. Evenjust sad rather then rock.

The only problem with having dirt and sand is that in most cases they mix :/ 

Rummynose or cardinal tetras would be a good schooling fish. You could also have some corys for the bottom.

Most reactions

Back