Give Me Ideas What To Stock My Tank With?

vaindioux

Reaction score
Hi

I can't decide what to stock in my tank, it's driving me nuts I want to do it all :hyper:
Ok here is my background, I am an intermediate fish keeper that has been out of the hobby for 10 years. I have kept central American cichlids, USA native fish and salwater fish only tanks for the most part. I had up to 11 tanks once from 10 to 125 gallons. I know a lot about freshwater fish keeping.
I am currently cycling a 55 gallon tank (Fishless cycle of course) and am wondering what to put in it????

I have eliminated saltwater of any kind for now as I want to start easy. I have also eliminated common livebearers (Platties, guppies) and African lakes cichlids (Don't feel like doing these right now.), no discus for now either.

So now some tips on what I might do but am still undecided: In no particular order.

1) A nice community tank with small gentle fish (Tetras, rasborras, algea eaters so on...) This tank would be planted. maybe some snails and shrimps in it too. I like the idea of that tank as I would be able to keep buying fish/plants/Critters for a little while before the tank is full as they are so small, it makes it interesting.

2) I have always liked large oddballs fish and maybe could fill my tank with 1 or 2 fish only that grow large (Bichir, oscar, frontosa or any large cichlid, some sort of freshwater eel, 1 large catfish like a shovelnose catfish or basically anything that would fit a 55 ga and eventually transfer in a larger tank when they ourgrow this one. Please suggest large oddball fish I love them.

3) Third option is to do a central American community tank with fish like convicts, salvini cichlid, jewel cichlid, green terror, Jack Dempsey and maybe a huge pleco on the bottom.) No breeding would happend in this tank. I do know about green terror aggressivity and somewhat Jack Dempseys too, these fish would come last and be smaller at first.

4)My 4th option is to do a freshwater puffer tank, either a bunch of the smaller ones or 1 large one like a Fahaka Puffer (Tetraodon lineatus). :good:

5) My 5th option is to do something USA native again, basically a coldwater setup with either (various local stream minnows, or 2 sunfish (Centrarchidae) or 1 bullhead (catfish family Ictaluridae) or 1 Bowfin (Amia Calva) or 1 gar (Family Lepisosteidae) or maybe some common comet goldfish which grow large and I enjoy too. I follow all regulations and know not to keep gamefish or protected species.

Anything else you can think of? LOL

So please help me a little here.

Thanks again

Patrick

Jack Dempsey tank :) As i'm nuts about them and glad to see they got a mention in your preliminary ideas.

If it were me i'd go with a group of Geophagus of sorts. Geophagus Rio Tapajo 'Red Heads' are magnificent. Also Geophagus sp 'Pindare' if you can find them are beautifull. I currently have 5 Geophagus Brasilliensis which are hugely entertaining and very sociable fish. They breed like rabbits also.

The puffer idea is certainly a good one also!

Jack Dempsey tank :) As i'm nuts about them and glad to see they got a mention in your preliminary ideas.

If it were me i'd go with a group of Geophagus of sorts. Geophagus Rio Tapajo 'Red Heads' are magnificent. Also Geophagus sp 'Pindare' if you can find them are beautifull. I currently have 5 Geophagus Brasilliensis which are hugely entertaining and very sociable fish. They breed like rabbits also.

WOW!

What took you so long to answer ! LOL 7 minutes after my post.

OK so the Jack Dempsey's have a vote, fantastic idea about the Geophagus I do love these also but never owned any, they were too pricey when I was younger now I can afford them. And yes one huge puffer in a tank is awesome too, they say they become like dogs very tamed and used to their owners.

Thanks so much I appreciate the help.

Patrick

WOW!

What took you so long to answer ! LOL 7 minutes after my post.

OK so the Jack Dempsey's have a vote, fantastic idea about the Geophagus I do love these also but never owned any, they were too pricey when I was younger now I can afford them. And yes one huge puffer in a tank is awesome too, they say they become like dogs very tamed and used to their owners.

Thanks so much I appreciate the help.

Patrick

I like the bullhead idea. I've wanted a bullhead for a while and I just can't keep one because I'm 14 and I already have a 15 gallon paradise fish tank(a male and female breeding pair), a 6 gallon community tank and a 12 gallon Axolotl tank.
I'm getting a 4ft tank and 2 more smaller tanks. Another 6 gallon so that I can make the current one a female betta community and the newer one(when cycled)will be a male guppy community. Then the other smaller tank will be about 6-7 gallons and will be so I can raise the baby paradise fish separate from their parents. The 4ft will be for a RTBS and some other larger fish. I don't like just having small fish. Don't get me wrong the paradise fish aren't exactly small with the male being a very nice 3" male albino and the female being an equally nice 2-2.5" red and blue, but I'd like something larger.
Did you understand that?

Cheers,
Paradise<3!

I like the bullhead idea. I've wanted a bullhead for a while and I just can't keep one Paradise<3!

Ok so the bullheads get a vote, they are very hardy, easy to obtain and certainly fun to watch.

Thanks so much

Patrick

If your intention is to go for a bigger tank eventualy & you like oddballs.

How about a freshwater stingray?

But you will need a biiiiiiiiiiiiig tank.

Tom.

To paradise:

-I will post pics no matter what I decide no doubt about it.

To Aqua Tom:

-Well the stingray is a good idea but that would be a little overwhelming for now. Imagine the size of tank these need, I hate to see cramped fish. I saw one yesterday at a saltwater fish store, it was nice. That was a great suggestion anyway, maybe when I am retired and have more time.

Thanks and please keep posting, I won't get any fish until the end of March when my tank gets cycled.

The count so far:

-Jack Dempsey 1 vote
-Geophagus family 1 vote
-Bullhead catfish 1 vote

Patrick

I'd go for your first option. And maybe add something like a pair of rams or apistos or both to have some 'character' fish

I'd go for your first option. And maybe add something like a pair of rams or apistos or both to have some 'character' fish

Hi

You seem to know what you are talking about. I don't know nothing about dwarf cichlids and had never thought possible to add them to a community tank. That's a great idea. As of now I haven't seen any in 4 fish stores around me but I am sure they will turn up eventually or can be special ordered by the store.

I appreciate the great idea.

I wonder where the count will stand at by the time I am ready to get fish.

The count so far:

-Community tank 1 vote
-Jack Dempsey 1 vote
-Geophagus family 1 vote
-Bullhead catfish 1 vote

Thanks again for your input

Patrick

Hi

I can't decide what to stock in my tank, it's driving me nuts I want to do it all :hyper:
Ok here is my background, I am an intermediate fish keeper that has been out of the hobby for 10 years. I have kept central American cichlids, USA native fish and salwater fish only tanks for the most part. I had up to 11 tanks once from 10 to 125 gallons. I know a lot about freshwater fish keeping.
I am currently cycling a 55 gallon tank (Fishless cycle of course) and am wondering what to put in it????

I have eliminated saltwater of any kind for now as I want to start easy. I have also eliminated common livebearers (Platties, guppies) and African lakes cichlids (Don't feel like doing these right now.), no discus for now either.

So now some tips on what I might do but am still undecided: In no particular order.

1) A nice community tank with small gentle fish (Tetras, rasborras, algea eaters so on...) This tank would be planted. maybe some snails and shrimps in it too. I like the idea of that tank as I would be able to keep buying fish/plants/Critters for a little while before the tank is full as they are so small, it makes it interesting.

2) I have always liked large oddballs fish and maybe could fill my tank with 1 or 2 fish only that grow large (Bichir, oscar, frontosa or any large cichlid, some sort of freshwater eel, 1 large catfish like a shovelnose catfish or basically anything that would fit a 55 ga and eventually transfer in a larger tank when they ourgrow this one. Please suggest large oddball fish I love them.

3) Third option is to do a central American community tank with fish like convicts, salvini cichlid, jewel cichlid, green terror, Jack Dempsey and maybe a huge pleco on the bottom.) No breeding would happend in this tank. I do know about green terror aggressivity and somewhat Jack Dempseys too, these fish would come last and be smaller at first.

4)My 4th option is to do a freshwater puffer tank, either a bunch of the smaller ones or 1 large one like a Fahaka Puffer (Tetraodon lineatus). :good:

5) My 5th option is to do something USA native again, basically a coldwater setup with either (various local stream minnows, or 2 sunfish (Centrarchidae) or 1 bullhead (catfish family Ictaluridae) or 1 Bowfin (Amia Calva) or 1 gar (Family Lepisosteidae) or maybe some common comet goldfish which grow large and I enjoy too. I follow all regulations and know not to keep gamefish or protected species.

Anything else you can think of? LOL

So please help me a little here.

Thanks again

Patrick

I have to say the first one. I find if you fill your tank with tons of colorful, small fish, it looks very nice. Make it really green, and very full of a lot of green plants. Maybe even plant it. ;)

I have to say the first one. I find if you fill your tank with tons of colorful, small fish, it looks very nice. Make it really green, and very full of a lot of green plants. Maybe even plant it. ;)

Moohug4

Yes indeed lots of little colorfull fishes make for an attractive tank. This is why I put it in my nominees.

Thanks so much

The count:

-Community tank 2 votes
-Jack Dempsey 1 vote
-Geophagus family 1 vote
-Bullhead catfish 1 vote

Patrick

Most reactions

Back