Getting Back Into The Hobby Again...

FinnMacCumhail

Reaction score
MANY years ago, my brother and I used to have ten gallon tanks when we were kids. About 20 years ago, my wife and I bought a used 30 gallon set up and we had lots of fun with it. I sold the set up at a tag sale about ten years ago so I've been out of the hobby for quite some time.

I was never a big fan of live plants, prefering to have lots of fish. Our ten gallon tanks used to have neons, various tetras, iridescent sharks, etc. In our 30 gallon tank, we had a couple of marble angel fish that grew to a very nice size and we had chiclids, gouramis, red tailed sharks, iridescent sharks, etc.

We had undergravels filter AND an external hang on filters.

I'm very much considering setting up a 55 gallon tank since Wal-Mart has starter kits for $159.00.

I've been reviewing some thread here after just finding this forum a few days ago and first off, I never knew anything about "cycling" an aquarium because in the past, we'd just set up the ten gallon tanks and stock them with fish almost immediately. I think that's what I did with the 30 gallon one but honestly, it's been so long I really can't remember.

My main questions are:

1. Should I go with an undergravel filter AND an external hanging filter or just the external filter?

2. What exactly does "cycling" the tank (without fish) mean? How long do I have to do this and what procedures should I follow.

For some reason, I've never seemed to have much success with the "search" function so if someone could point me to some threads or ask me some additional question to get me going, I'd appreciate it!

I'd like a community tank and could use some suggestions for types of fish.

Thanks in advance!

Finn

1. Should I go with an undergravel filter AND an external hanging filter or just the external filter?
Well more filtration is better! So I'd say over filter rather then under filter. It also depends on the type of fish your going to have and how many.

2. What exactly does "cycling" the tank (without fish) mean? How long do I have to do this and what procedures should I follow.
Here is a LINK on cycling your tank!

I'd like a community tank and could use some suggestions for types of fish.
There are many different types of community fish you can have. Especially since you have such a large tank! I'm sure you'll have fun with this tank. You could have mollies, platties, swordtails, glowlight tetras, zebra danio's. Those are just a few different types of fish suggestions for you!

Best of Luck!! :fish: :fish:

Thank you very much *Fishkies*, that's exactly what I was looking for!

I hope others will add more information and suggestions to my "beginner" thread too. :nod:

first of all, I'd just start by saying thatred-tailed sharks are really aggressive. So don't consider getting one if you were (just wanted to point that out). Also, seems those tanks were way overstocked.
Here is a link to cycling:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=113861
and another link that will help you:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=88643
please take time to read MOST or ALL the articles as most people decide not to and end up with dead/aggressive/sick fish.
As for stocking, in my opinion livebearers are really nice beginner fish because you can raise their fry and are pretty hardy. But most people find them boring. Danios are nice little fish that are very active. They are also extremely hardy. If you'd like, you could get some shrimp or snails, and a red-finned shark. They look like the red-tailed shark but have red fins as well and are less aggressive and don't grow as big. I believe you could have some angels in there but it depends on how deep your tank is. You could have tiger, green tiger, or albino tiger barbs (but they like to be in groups of 8+ and are nippy). I's suggest starting out with livebearers and/or danios because those seem to be hardier and then trade them for bigger or more interesting fish. It all depends on what you like.
NOTE- the fish I posted shouldn't all be kept together, and you may want to read up some more about each here-
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showforum=36
and I suggest you use both filters but I'm not raelly sure.

If you do a fishless cycle as described in those threads, you will have quite a wide range of fish to choose from. Some suggestions might be:

for a peaceful tank:

pearl gouramis (1 male only, but you can have a couple of females), harlequin rasboras (schooling), black phantom tetras (schooling), corydoras (schooling), khuulie loaches (schooling), black neon tetras, bristlenose plec, whiptail catfish, amano shrimps. Obviously not all of these, but maybe 3 or 4 species.

for a more active tank:

danios (schooling, if the tank is 4 feet you could even run to giant danios), dwarf neon rainbow fish (schooling), golden barbs (schooling), bristlenose plec, a red-tail black shark or a rainbow shark (only 1/tank), swordtails (only 1 male). 0r as suggested above, a school of tiger barbs on their own

Iridescent sharks can grow 3ft in the wild...and atleast 10' in home aquariums.

Hehe, I think you meant that you've kept all those fish, not kept them all at one time together, right? Otherwise, I'm quite impressed that it didn't turn into some fishy massacre.
As for cycling, I didnt really know much about it either. It turns out that the fish we owned were just generally hardy fish, and stuck it out. Hehe.

Overfilter, definitely. Especially since you're starting up a new tank again, just in case you accidentally miss/forget a cleaning, the fish won't just die off.
Ahh, and I love throwing in some live plants. The Amazon swords are pretty much indestructible, imo, and it can sorta lighten the load as far as ammonia and everything goes.

I'd suggest a smaller catfish ( <3 my raphael cat) or a school of corydoras to scamper around on the bottom and just generally cleanup and add some activity. They appreciate some shade and stuff to dig through, so a finer substrate and a few rock/log/driftwood/shell things are advisable. And of course, they'll appreciate shrimp pellets and such as food; they're not just fishy garbage cans.
Gouramis and Angels are always beautiful additions. A smaller pleco ( check the list -> http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=132656) can be nice. Some larger tetras & barbs (schooling) can be rather lovely. I really like Rosy Barbs, and there's tons of others that add color & personality.

Best of luck with the new tank! =)

I would say skip the undergravel filter for sure. Instead, get a hang on back/extrernal filter that is rated for a tank bigger than 55 gallons. I got a Aquaclear 110 fitler, rated for 110 gallons, for my 55. You can always adjust the water current down, but having the extra filter media means it should take longer to clog, and do a better job.

I have a collection of "begginer links" on my little website. Here is that link page:

http://www.aquariumdatabase.com/needtoknow...6f7374c62ae1fd8

Most reactions

Back