Getting A New Tank!

myrtle

Fishaholic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Just started the ball rolling on a new 6x2x2 tank from ND Aquatics :hyper: . They have a few tropical tanks on offer at the moment and I've had the thumbs up from the husband (so long as I get rid of the 240l that it's replacing). This will be the first brand new tank I've ever had and I'm really excited. All I need to make it perfect is to get hold of some more Lestradea although that's highly unlikely.
In the 240l I'm running a Fluval 405 and an Eheim Pro3. Will they be sufficient (thinking not) for a 6x2x2 as it's more than double the volume. I think I'mprobably going to have to investigate a sump but I have no idea where to start on that!

Just started the ball rolling on a new 6x2x2 tank from ND Aquatics :hyper: . They have a few tropical tanks on offer at the moment and I've had the thumbs up from the husband (so long as I get rid of the 240l that it's replacing). This will be the first brand new tank I've ever had and I'm really excited. All I need to make it perfect is to get hold of some more Lestradea although that's highly unlikely.
In the 240l I'm running a Fluval 405 and an Eheim Pro3. Will they be sufficient (thinking not) for a 6x2x2 as it's more than double the volume. I think I'mprobably going to have to investigate a sump but I have no idea where to start on that!

Excellent news Jo and I`m really, really chuffed for you :good: :good: :good:

On the filtration....I personally think you need to be looking at a minimum of something such as the FX5, possibly 2 of them. A sump is easy enough though and you could easily make one yourself with a smaller lidless tank and some pieces of glass and silicone to make the different compartments needed.
I can`t find the thread I did in the DIY section but there was one on how my sump on the malawi tank is setup. IF you decide to go with the sump option and want any media for it, I have loads of Jap matting and alfagrog that you can have...at least that will help keep the cost down for you. Just give me a shout if you need to :good:

Excellent news Jo and I`m really, really chuffed for you :good: :good: :good:

On the filtration....I personally think you need to be looking at a minimum of something such as the FX5, possibly 2 of them. A sump is easy enough though and you could easily make one yourself with a smaller lidless tank and some pieces of glass and silicone to make the different compartments needed.
I can`t find the thread I did in the DIY section but there was one on how my sump on the malawi tank is setup. IF you decide to go with the sump option and want any media for it, I have loads of Jap matting and alfagrog that you can have...at least that will help keep the cost down for you. Just give me a shout if you need to :good:

Thanks Lisa, I may well take you up on that! I've seen a few sump tanks on AC recently but as I say, I wouldn't know where to start! Although I do remember seeing something on another cichlid forum about sumps...

Minnnt, the 240l will be up for sale for a very low price once the new tank arrives as there are numerous scratches on the glass that were there when I bought it (part of the reason I've never used and algae cleaning magnet!

Great news on the new tank :good:

I bet you will change your stock when you get it :lol:

I would go for an FX5, I have one and the flow is adequate but not to powerful for the fish, really need to add a second on to up the filtration . . . . .

Looking forward to seeing it when its all set up :good:

Cheers, Sean

How low is very low?! :p

I was going to sell it for about £50 as it is just the tank and stand, no equipment and it was second hand when I got it. It'll be a good month or more though as the new tank will have to be in first ;)

I'll have to weigh up between a sump and the 2 fx5s. Hmmm...

You could use 1x FX5 and have a smaller external at the other end just to have some movement, have seen some folk using powerheads etc for water flow . . . .just my two cents . . .
Cheers, Sean

You could use 1x FX5 and have a smaller external at the other end just to have some movement, have seen some folk using powerheads etc for water flow . . . .just my two cents . . .
Cheers, Sean

Definitely another option to consider :good:

I have 1 FX5 running on my Tang setup and a powerhead too. Although the tank is very lightly stocked I do feel that the clarity of the water could be better and have considered adding another FX5 but reckon that could be massive overkill though :huh:

I could measure the size of the sump in my Malawi setup if you need me to, at least then you have some idea of what size you need to be looking at if you do choose the sump option. Bear in mind IF the tank isn`t already drilled and ready for a sump then that`s going to be another thing you`ll have to sort out and cost. I think out of all of the options, the one of having either 2X FX5`s, 1 FX5 and your 405 or 1 FX5 and a decent sized internal would be cheaper and easier for you :)

Cheers, Sean

Definitely another option to consider :good:

I have 1 FX5 running on my Tang setup and a powerhead too. Although the tank is very lightly stocked I do feel that the clarity of the water could be better and have considered adding another FX5 but reckon that could be massive overkill though :huh:

I could measure the size of the sump in my Malawi setup if you need me to, at least then you have some idea of what size you need to be looking at if you do choose the sump option. Bear in mind IF the tank isn`t already drilled and ready for a sump then that`s going to be another thing you`ll have to sort out and cost. I think out of all of the options, the one of having either 2X FX5`s, 1 FX5 and your 405 or 1 FX5 and a decent sized internal would be cheaper and easier for you :)

Media wise for the FX5 I have the standard sponges (supplied), then ceramic rings on the bottom, fluval biomax in the middle, eheim ehfilav (in media bag) on the top, as for any water clarity I wouldn't add the polishing pads as they slow down flow, I was recommended purigen , I have it in the filter in a sachet, it's in 2 out of the 3 tanks and you can really see the difference, :good:

I think I'll probably go down the FX5 route plus one of my existing filters. If I used the 405 I'd take the opportunity to change the tubing though as that awful ribbed stuff just kicks out so much crud when restarted even after I clean them :sick: .

I think I'll probably go down the FX5 route plus one of my existing filters. If I used the 405 I'd take the opportunity to change the tubing though as that awful ribbed stuff just kicks out so much crud when restarted even after I clean them :sick: .

A fine meshed net over the outlet when you start it back up after cleaning will catch the crud :good:
I had some noise and bubble psobs with my FX5 when I was first running it, also when it was restarting itself to purge air it would push out loads of little micro bubbles and what looked like chalk dust :grr: After giving all the media a proper clean, (also air was trapped in the media bags), setting it back up properly, also cutting the inlet to the correct length :blush: so as the joint was submerged and not pulling in air :blush: , very quiet and efficient NOW :lol: , can't fault it :good:

Most reactions

Back