Get a fish they said . . .

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Savanya

Reaction score
Hello! I am so excited to be a part of your community. :)

I'm brand spanking new to the fish world. Although I did some salmon fishing in Alaska and I was gifted my 6th grade class tadpole and a little betta once many years ago. Who knew you could feed a tadpole to death!? I do! . . . . now. :blush:

So fast forward a couple of decades. I live in Colorado. I am at the dentist's office and lo and behold there is this large glass bowl with some pothos in it with a betta. I thought, this looks amazing. I have over 200 plants so why not make a beautiful display with a fish!? Win-win!

Its off to the pet store! I find a beautiful betta and already start picking out names. My son and I love to laugh and decided it had to be funny. I start talking to the associate at the pet store - who just so happens to be a very knowledgeable enthusiast (thank God!) with a billion aquariums and all the like. She starts telling me about cycling my tank, ok..... whatever that means - AND let's not forget lady, its just a large glass bowl with a plant, not a tank! She continues spewing out information all over the place - I mean just loads of it! It's a fish in a bowl for crying out loud! This is not the story I pictured of a cute fish in a glass bowl at all. Are you just trying to get my fish to live a little boujie or is this for real!?

Well, you can't talk me out of getting this cute little fish. Besides, he already has a name now and since he is off the shelf at the store, he thinks he is finally going to a good, caring home full of knowledgeable fish people. By this point, I couldn't handle disappointing the little guy so home we go.

And just like that, a quick, easy, cheap transaction at a pet store, I own a fish. Thus the floodgates of the fish world were suddenly thrust open & fortunately, ready for my spongey brain to absorb!

So here we are, a month or two later and Sushi (my son loves Asian food and loves to cook and use chop sticks so it was right up his ally ha) is now happily residing in a 10g temporary tank (to ensure I understand his care and can keep him alive and thriving before adding any roommates). I now have a 30g tank (along with its LED light, filters, etc.) awaiting its new 2 tank aquarium stand arriving today. I have new plants JUST for him, so you know he is special, that have been disinfected and now quarantining, with a 3rd SET of plants arriving soon that will follow suit. Traded some of my houseplants for a beautiful piece of wood for the 30g tank and ordered a few more beautiful pieces of "drift"wood. New, improved betta pellets since Koda Bear (one of my 80lb dogs) decided to test Sushi's previous ones. As in ALL of the previous ones in the bottle. . 🤫 He has some yummy frozen bloodworms that he can have 1-2 times a week and all the other fishy supplies he could use. He looks like a happy fish. In fact, I will include a photo of him blowing me a kiss.

Now that Sushi is alive and well and living the dream, I was ready to level up. So I went to an aquarium store..... or two. Bad move. NOW I want some saltwater & maybe some reef tanks, but one thing at a time. That will be a future goal. But you know.... I couldn't leave empty handed. I knew I just had to rescue something. So now Sushi has a new little buddy, Sherlock the Mystery Snail, who is quarantining nearby. He seemed curious to meet him and he never flares up so hopefully he approves of Sherlock. Otherwise, DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN. J/k. I'd never. We can all find ways to live in harmony!

I cannot wait to have the 30g up and running. I want to start with some corys/plecos. These guys were so much fun to watch and learn about. I haven't decided on which ones yet, but there is time for that while the new tank begins cycling. This fish world is quite fascinating and I will say, what actually drew me into this was not only the fish at the dental office, but AQUASCAPING! I mean, come on, you had to see that coming with a house full of plants! :D

So! That's my fish story and I am sticking to it!

I LOVE seeing everyone's beautiful and creative tanks. There are some absolutely stunning pieces of art out there. Mind-blowing. When it comes to design, I just don't have that gift lol. I can only hope to one day achieve such beautiful tanks with fish that are thriving and happy.

I think the hardest part is navigating my way through all of the information. There is SO much out there that contradicts one another. One site says this, another says NO, do this. Which means reviewing multiple sources to see what makes the most sense or has the most success. Watching youtubers. I mean, some of these are so amazing the stuff they teach you and they seem to be doing something right, so I am trying my best to learn but because of all the conflicting information out there, it can feel overwhelming. I'm trying to take it one item at a time, which is safest for Sushi anyway since any change can really affect all the water parameters and his safety.

So my question for you is regarding the substrate. I love plants, obviously, and would love to create a beautiful natural environment (so no wrecked ships or smurf huts, or Groot bubblers no matter how awesome those look), for my fish buddies to enjoy and thrive. Not to say there CANT be something unnatural, such as these glass pots that will have plants in them). But overall, a beautiful aesthetic but natural. I was reading how wonderful the sand is for corys and their bristles/whiskers. And reading this that and the other, again, overwhleming. THIS is my foundation of the entire tank so it has to be right. I plan on definitely having some cory/plecos. So I definitely want sand, but I also want a few other things that would do well in the tank. I would think that my main concern for substrate should be the bottom especially for these bottom feeders. Can I mix substrate to add some aeration a bit for my plants to grow more easily but also so it doesn't completely compact the sand over time? it doesn't seem like there is a great surefire way to divide the substrate unless maybe you have a larger, higher separation from some that I have seen. I dont need all of that at this point. A little land spot would be awesome though with some crabs! Maybe in a different aquarium . . . anyway, it looked like the soft river sand was good for them, but I'd like to mix in these small rounded pebbles - just not sure if that would be a good idea or not. Any suggestions?

Side rant/note: It's crazy how readily available SO many animals are grab and go with almost no education. There really needs to be so much more made available for folks to educate themselves any where they sell or allow animals for ownership, especially at a pet shop of all places. A fish in a bowl, the big bad wolf, and so many other examples of such fallacies that in the end create an unfair and often harmful opinion/treatment towards them. If a kid is in a pet store and they want a fish, why do you sell 1g aquariums if its inhumane? There should be a poster that says STOP! Before buying please be aware that your little fella NEEDS these things (lists) to live a happy life. Are you prepared to be a responsible pet owner that can provide these things for your friend to thrive and be happy? I will say, I had a little idea that it would be more than just a fish in a bowl, but didn't know about much else. HOWEVER, I love to learn and research so I knew if I wasn't actually ready to accept that, I wouldn't have bought the fish. :) I understood the commitment I was making after speaking with the associate and asking her a thousand questions and realizing I was going to have to do a lot of research and learning. Thank goodness for her - it's unfortunate that isn't the norm.

Thanks for allowing me to join your community. I look forward to learning so much more!

Attachments

• 20241002_121152.jpg
    20241002_121152.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20241016_195151.jpg
    20241016_195151.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20241018_125317.jpg
    20241018_125317.jpg
    611.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
:hi:
You aren't already addicted or anything, right? ;)

While a snail or three is probably OK in a 10 gallon tank with a beta I would have to advise no other fish as a beta is NOT a social fish. I would suggest that the beta remain solo in the 10 gallon with the possibility of some snails. As to live plants for the beta it would probably prefer some floating plants.

Plecos are totally cool and have been around for millions of years. Just be sure to not get a 'common pleco' for your 29/30 gallon tank as the things can reach over two feet in size.

Also make sure that your tanks are cycled. This is a process where good bacteria is formed in the tank that eat ammonia (yes, fish DO urinate) that is toxic. One form of bacteria eats the ammonia and turns it into nitrites (also toxic). Another bacteria turns the nitrites into nitrates which are much less toxic but can still be harmful if at levels above 20 parts per million. Nitrates are one of the reasons that you need to do regular water changes. Live plants also help with nitrates as it is basically plant food.

As to your substrate sand is good for bottom dwellers but you don't need to spend a lot of money on special sand as normal 'play sand' tends to work just fine. You will probably be disappointed if you try to mix sand with other substrates such a pebbles as the sand will just sift down leaving the pebbles on top which removes the benefit of the sand for bottom feeders.

When thinking of fish for your 29/30 gallon tank you absolutely need to know your water parameters. An API Master test kit will help with this but only includes a test for the PH of the water. GH and KH are more important than the PH but need separate testing agents that are not included in the API Master set. The API kit WILL allow you to test for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates along with PH. Knowing your water is VERY important as to what fish to get. Some fish like live bearers like guppies like hard water while others prefer softer water. It is never good to mix hard and soft water fish as one or the other will not thrive.

As to plants be sure to know the plant as some can be planted in the substrate while others cannot. Some of the most popular tank plants such as Anubias and Java Ferns must not be put in the substrate as they have what is called a rhizomes which is a dark ring just above the root cluster. If this ring is planted below the substrate the thing will rot killing the plant. Such plants need to be attached to rocks or wood above the substrate level (actually super glue is totally safe and good for such mounting). They get their nutrients from the tank water. Then there are stem plants that can be planted in the substrate. In both cases you can add fertilizer for the tanks; liquid for the rhizome plants and what are called root tabs for the ones actually planted. Personally I have found that fertilizers are not commonly needed unless the tank is extremely dense as to plants.

Sigh, sorry as I got a bit carried away but you said that you are brand new to this and there are just things you need to know.

That is great information, thank you! I did read about some plecos that were rather large and live for over 10 - 15 years. I had no idea. That was quite interesting to see.

10g feels so small, even for just my betta. 30g seems small now. Ugh. Good point about the pebbles and sand - that makes so much sense!

I bought a separate ammonia testing kit since this seemed to be a very serious parameter to ensure that I was getting a more reliable read. I have a PH digital pen that I received with a tank I bought from someone and need to buy some replacement stuff for it before I can use it. I've been looking at the different fish and their needs. Temperature, water conditions, substrates, foods, who eats who.

I'm not sure what I will do for the 30g now. I was going to use for my betta and a few suggested tankmates for him, but the more I look into other fish, the more I may let him be have the 10g to himself - maybe a buddy or two. Also, I didn't want more than 1 snail because I didn't want a ton of snail babies! I don't know what to do with them all and I don't want to get overrun with snails! Little rabbits of the sea!

We won't add any fish to the 30g until its completely cycled and ready. I haven't even begun yet as part of me wanted to go to a bigger tank. But I think now is not the time to go bigger until I know I can handle the 30g and 10g without getting overwhelmed. (I think I would want a bigger tank to be a saltwater anyway). I want to really understand it all first. I have a small business and part-time caregiver of my mom who has cancer. I also have my dogs, all my plants, another job.... and I have to make sure I have time for everything so I have to pace myself. :) I want to really consider what fish are options and decide what to go with so I can make a beautiful environment for them and really enjoy this hobby and not create just another "chore". It's so much information!

It sounds like I should still do water changes every week or two now. Even though parameters may look good, to keep things leveled out or from becoming a problem (i believe on things that we don't measure for). How much would you water change for a 10g and 30g tank for regular maintenance (10%, 25%, 20%, etc.)? I still check all my levels daily just because it is still new to me and I am afraid something may change suddenly. So far, so good. I just don't have that experience and confidence yet to go longer without checking.

Welcome to our forum... :hi:
I won't add any comments for what should be said has already been said by my fellow members... Have fun overhere...

Most reactions

Back