German Blue Rams With Kribensis?

codeajohnson

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

As of right now I have a 55 gallon tank that is housing 3 German Blue Rams, 2 Kribensis, 4 Clown Loaches, and a Black Ghost Knife. I got the Kribensis about a month ago, and I was assured by the local fish store owner that Kribensis would peacefully coexist with my German Blue Rams. The problem that I have run into is that the Kribs have taken over the entire bottom of my tank as their territory and have forced the German Blue Rams up towards the middle and top of the tank. I was wondering if this is a problem? And if there is any solution to this? Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

Well Kribs are not very aggressive, but compared to Rams they are evil. Rams are really passive and will be pushed around easily by the kribs. Do you have lots of rocks in there? If you have a good deal of rock work in the tank I would take out the Kribs and rearrange the rocks and put the Kribs back in. But this is no guarantee, as I said before rams are really passive. The ppl at the LFS should have told you, so you were somewhat ill informed. But try what I said and see. Also try to keep the kribs from breeding!!

do you have lots of hidding places for the rams(plants). rams and kribs both benifit from a well planted tank, and having more hiding spots may reduce aggression :nod:

Yes, there is enough hiding places for everyone. I did try and rearrange the bottom, but with no success as it is still claimed by the kribs. It looks like I am going to have to get rid of one or the other, as I don't want fish to be harrassed for no reason. Does anyone have any suggestions on what other fish I would be able to add to my aquarium? I am looking at either situation, so what could I put in with the kribs if I took out the Rams, and vice versa. Thanks!!!

If the Rams were out I would go with 2 more Kribs, and if the Kribs were out I would go with 1 more ram. I suggest this because the clown loaches and the black ghost knife fish get huge. So with them in there the tank is a bit overstocked, assuming they are still small.

Yeah, the Loaches and Knife are going to outgrow that tank, I suggest taking either the Ram/Krib, Loaches and Knife back to the LFS. Tell them you researched the fish and they mis-informed you and you do not want to have them in your tank, they should take them back, because they will not be happy in that sized tank. It isn't your fault or anything, but they need to go...

As for other fish, all those fish you have in that tank are low lying, they all prefer the bottom. This could also be the root to your aggression problem, the bottom may be just too crowded. Try getting some good sized tetras. A group of 10-15 would fill up the middle-top of the tank quite nicely. Danio should work also. Be careful with getting anything too fragile/small, because the Krib may nip at them.

Thanks for the help everyone! So the clown loaches and the BGK are going to outgrow my 55 gallon? So getting them out should be my first move. From there, I don't know if I want to get rid of the Rams or Kribs yet but I should really make up my mind. Ripley, you said that if I kept the Kribs you suggested that I got another pair? I think I will end up keeping the Kribs as they are a hardier fish and will be easier for me to take care of as a beginner. Would I be able to go with Neon Tetras if I were to make this move? Dwarf Gouramis? Is there any other cichlid that I would be able to keep with the Kribs or is that unlikely? Thanks again for everyone who is helping me set-up my tank and solve my problems!

*Also wondering about the situation if the Kribs were to breed? I have read that they become very hostile towards other fish.

Thanks for the help everyone! So the clown loaches and the BGK are going to outgrow my 55 gallon? So getting them out should be my first move. From there, I don't know if I want to get rid of the Rams or Kribs yet but I should really make up my mind. Ripley, you said that if I kept the Kribs you suggested that I got another pair? I think I will end up keeping the Kribs as they are a hardier fish and will be easier for me to take care of as a beginner. Would I be able to go with Neon Tetras if I were to make this move? Dwarf Gouramis? Is there any other cichlid that I would be able to keep with the Kribs or is that unlikely? Thanks again for everyone who is helping me set-up my tank and solve my problems!

*Also wondering about the situation if the Kribs were to breed? I have read that they become very hostile towards other fish.
Personally as i said above, Kribs are a pain in the ass, they breed all the time and when breeding are very vigarous with other fish, personally id ditch the rams and kribs and maybe go for bovilian rams with are a more hardy fish but look just as good, then you could maybe have a shoal of cardinal/neon tetras and a pair of dwarf gouramis, but watch out with gourami as they have disease

Personally as i said above, Kribs are a pain in the ass, they breed all the time and when breeding are very vigarous with other fish, personally id ditch the rams and kribs and maybe go for bovilian rams with are a more hardy fish but look just as good, then you could maybe have a shoal of cardinal/neon tetras and a pair of dwarf gouramis, but watch out with gourami as they have disease

+1 on the bolivian rams

Emma

If you keep the kribs and end up getting another pair, I would go with some type of schooling fish to fill up the upper parts of the tank. Tetras would be ok, if you get a medium speices you could get an angel or two as another cichlid in the tank. As said before Kribs can be aggressive when they bred, as most cichlids. When mine bred in my 33 they did not bother the danios, but would certainly go after anything that went near their corner/bottom. Thats why I suggested a schooling fish and the angels as neither go near the bottom very often.

Most reactions

Back