Gas pockets

Guyb93

Fish Herder
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Iv been recently told about gas pockets , I shared the before and after of my swap to gravel to sand on a group I’m on and somebody told me about gas pockets that can build up in sand and maybe disturb it a bit once in a while , is this correct ? Or will my fish do this for me il add photos of the before and after for any who are interested but gas pockets ??

Attachments

• 10245617-3ECD-4C02-AE89-A4C8168DDF45.jpeg
    10245617-3ECD-4C02-AE89-A4C8168DDF45.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 54
  • FD95A9D5-D46C-409C-ADCE-1CBBB45A3F22.jpeg
    FD95A9D5-D46C-409C-ADCE-1CBBB45A3F22.jpeg
    238.1 KB · Views: 51
So it during water changes, just run your fingers through the sand or use stick.

Gas pockets are usually only occur if the sand is deep. Fish that dig will turn the sand over, as will Malaysian trumpet snails. Other than that, you could 'cut' the sand with a chopstick or something similar to disturb any just-forming pockets.

Gas pockets are usually only occur if the sand is deep. Fish that dig will turn the sand over, as will Malaysian trumpet snails. Other than that, you could 'cut' the sand with a chopstick or something similar to disturb any just-forming pockets.
I have diggy dish geophagus corys blue acara pleco , is it something I should worry about or just good information

IMO, its a myth - 'the deadly pockets of gas' aspect. Yes, if the anaerobic bacteria has been breaking down sulphur for oxygen, then a deadly gas is created. However when this gas is introduced to o2 (within the water column), it instantly becomes harmless. Ideally the anaerobic bacteria use nitrate for oxygen, thus fulfilling the nitrogen cycle, and the gas created as a bi-product is nitrogen.

People advise to stir the sand occasionally whereas I wouldn't disturb this important anaerobic bacteria colony that can convert nitrates to nitrogen gas.

IMO, its a myth - 'the deadly pockets of gas' aspect. Yes, if the anaerobic bacteria has been breaking down sulphur for oxygen, then a deadly gas is created. However when this gas is introduced to o2 (within the water column), it instantly becomes harmless. Ideally the anaerobic bacteria use nitrate for oxygen, thus fulfilling the nitrogen cycle, and the gas created as a bi-product is nitrogen.

People advise to stir the sand occasionally whereas I wouldn't disturb this important anaerobic bacteria colony that can convert nitrates to nitrogen gas.
So basically there are gas pockets but they are harmless are don’t bother with them lol

Your Geos will sort it out for you :) tanks looking good!

Your Geos will sort it out for you :) tanks looking good!
I would of never swapped to sand without your advice so cheers mate

Most reactions

Back