Fx5/6 Owners

farmerhoggers

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all

just wondering what media setup people are running in their fx5/6? will be setting mine up in a few weeks and was wondering what media to go with. i was thinking of swapping out the biomax in the middle tray for some matrix and using the purigen in my existing filter in the bottom tray along with some other form of media im yet to decide on. what do you all use or recommend?

farmerhoggers said:
Hi all

just wondering what media setup people are running in their fx5/6? will be setting mine up in a few weeks and was wondering what media to go with. i was thinking of swapping out the biomax in the middle tray for some matrix and using the purigen in my existing filter in the bottom tray along with some other form of media im yet to decide on. what do you all use or recommend?
Don't use purigen it sucks up the ammonia therefore not making your tank cycled since it sucks up all the ammonia the bacteria need.

I suggest siporax, bioballs of normal filter floss cut down to desired shape

hi, should have said that it will be set up with seeded/cycled media so cant see the purigen being a problem.

farmerhoggers said:
hi, should have said that it will be set up with seeded/cycled media so cant see the purigen being a problem.
It will still suck all the ammonia in your tank leaving the bacteria starved therefore reversing the cycle process

been working perfectly on my existing filter for the last 8 months with perfect water quality so will stick with it.

farmerhoggers said:
been working perfectly on my existing filter for the last 8 months with perfect water quality so will stick with it.
Well its your choice basically hope everything goes well

I just pack my baskets with bio balls :)

Wills

DerpPH said:

It will still suck all the ammonia in your tank leaving the bacteria starved therefore reversing the cycle process

I've never seen any issues with purigen and suffering biofilters on any of my tanks. According to seachem themselves it doesn't affect the ammonia itself, but will remove some of the organic molecules that would be converted to ammonia in the first place, so I suppose you could see a general reduction in overall levels. I've not found it to be massively quick in what it does though, so I've not been concerned. Does depend a little on how much you trust a manufacturer to admit to any problems with their products.

Same as wills just pack it full of bio balls seems to do the trick :) I recently replaced my 2 FX5's with 2 FX6's cant notice any difference apart from the weight of my wallet lol

Most reactions

Back