FX4 Flow Rate

fishman120

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi All, 2 Questions !!

1) What is the most I can decrease the flow rate without harming the motor on a FX4

2) Am I harming the bacterial colony by doing that ?

Thanks All !! Cheers !!

As long as the vial allows it, it should be fine to that extent. I usually keep mine max, but if it wasn't meant to be lowered safely, it wouldn't be adjustable.

Also nah your BB will be fine

If fact if the water flow is reduced the bacteria colony has more time to remove ammonia and nitrite in the water from one pass.

But Fluval explicitly advises against partially closing the inlet or outlet valves of their canister filters. Doing so can potentially damage the pump.

But packing them a little more with media should influence the flow, while remaining between parameters.

My fluval fx filter sounded angry when I reduced the flow using the valves (I read somewhere that you can close them up to half way).
So instead I reduced the flow by using a spray bar with aquarium sponge zip tied over it.
Aesthetically I would have preferred to reduce the flow in a hidden way but this way my filter still has the normal output flow. The sponge absorbs all the impact of the outflow and the water just trickles out along the length of the spray bar.

The sponge doesn't get clogged up or anything because it's only the filtered water flowing through it.

Thanks for the reply. Liked your way of reducing flow. Thought of using the spray bar earlier, but didn't think of using the sponge. Great idea. Thanks again !!

If fact if the water flow is reduced the bacteria colony has more time to remove ammonia and nitrite in the water from one pass.

But Fluval explicitly advises against partially closing the inlet or outlet valves of their canister filters. Doing so can potentially damage the pump.

But packing them a little more with media should influence the flow, while remaining between parameters.
I believe what you are saying, but why the heck would would Fluval then place restricting valves on the filter??? Doesn't make sense. I am changing my tank over to Discus. They like a nice "quiet" tank with a small amount of flow. I was thinking of an FX2 with the flow being restricted 50%. Guess I'm partially screwed !! LOL. Any thoughts ??

Everyone have a great day !!

Slowing the output should not be a problem. Consider head specs for any form of pump. Head is tha maximum amount height the pump can lift water. The farther it mist be raised, the slower the output become. Eventually you hat max. head which means water no longer comes out the of the output hose.

The pump doesn't know how high it can lift water. So it pushes it out no matter how high one needs it to go. So it just keeps pushing with the same force. Changing height/head doesn't damage a pump. otherwise they would fail sooner the higher they have to lift.

What is a bad idea is to slow he intake. Most pumps are usually designed to run at full speed all the time. This means it needs the proper amount of water inside it. Slow the intake and you reduse how much water is going in. If the pump can push it out faster than that it allows air to accumulate. It is cheaper to make a flow reducing valve than it is to make a variable speed pump.

As air bubbles become trapped at the pump suction, they block the flow of fluid, leading to a gradual deterioration in pump performance. As flow rate decreases, the developed head will drop off. This leads to an overall decrease in efficiency. Air entrainment causes increased vibration which leads to bearing failure.

Always low flow from the output side to be safe. The exception should be when the manufacturer designs flow control which won't result in potentially harm to the pump. Systems which will slow the intake some do so when there is a flow rate that can be adjusted some and not do harm, One way of doing this is to slow the output side as well.

I have always run my canisters at their max. flow rate. But I used the flow control which can fully close both intake and output allowing for one the diconnect the filters from the hoses without flooding beiing the result. Shutting both hoses keeps our floors dry ;)

Most reactions

Back