Funny And Peculiar Plec? Help

danthefishman88

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just joined the forums,
I have been running tropical tanks for approx a year now, I had a juwel rekord 80for 10 months and have just upgraded to a fluval roma 200, with a 305 external.
I have slowly been maturing the water and transferring the hardier fish over a period of time once the water tests came back good. I have a marble Angel, 2x Silver Sharks, 4 platys, 2 guppies and 5 silver tip tetra's to get me going, plus my long serving Plec.
He was one of the first fish I bought, sorry to make it out like a story, but anyway, here it is, I bought him under a common plec name @2" long, He is know approx 8" long with the expectation of him getting much larger due to being a common pleco. I was going to move him today to the new tank, leaving him until last, to notice he has gold(almost yellow leopard print) tiger stripes from his head to his tail, this was not evident for the first 9 months of his life, he looks like a common plec just with odd markings.

Is this normal???? or is it something a matter with him?

Thanks new fish friends
Dan

try looking up all the L number plecs . sounds that yours maybe a gold nugget plec . there are loads of different plecs all categorised with the letter ""L" and a number , hence the term L number plecs . I think the zebra plec is L46 . try looking them up and see if you can see yours .

try looking up all the L number plecs . sounds that yours maybe a gold nugget plec . there are loads of different plecs all categorised with the letter ""L" and a number , hence the term L number plecs . I think the zebra plec is L46 . try looking them up and see if you can see yours .
Your best bet for a proper ID of his species is to post a photo of your plec in the Catfish/Lorricarids Forum on this site not Tropical Discussion. The plec experts there will be able to advise you.

silver sharks get 16" long and need at least 5 of the same species.

Does not sound like a gold nugget and certainly not a zebra plec.

Sounds like L001 'Leopard Plec' or just a nicely marked common.

Most reactions

Back