Fully Stocked?

blazinloud

Reaction score
ok, 10 gallon includes so far........

-1 Male crowntail betta(quite peaceful)
-1 ADF
-1 ghost shrimp(carrying eggs)
-2 rosey barbs 1 is a long fin
-1 candy barb (albino maybe, its all white)
-1 flame gourami which is prolly a little over 2"

I wouldnt mind adding some small tetras or other very small fish, or something that wont greatly affect the water.

I soon plan on purchasing a 33 gallon long, but maybe not for a month or 2

I would say dont add anymore fish.. at the moment its fully if not over stocked but with the new tank coming soon it should be ok.

I would say dont add anymore fish.. at the moment its fully if not over stocked but with the new tank coming soon it should be ok.

:sad: well I woke up this morning to find the corpse(well some of it) of my ghost shrimp, I think the long finned rosey is to blame.......

looks like im on the market for some shrimp, I would like to find some almano's

what is the waste from a shrimp comparable to? a tiny tetra?

You will get more problems if you keep 2 large-growing very active schooling fish (the rosy barbs) in such a tiny tank. They need a much bigger tank, I'd say 55 gallons for grow-out space and a decent number of them (6+).
You should also not keep a gourami and a betta together, particularly not in a small tank, as they can get extremely territorial with their relatives (and they are related).

You will get more problems if you keep 2 large-growing very active schooling fish (the rosy barbs) in such a tiny tank. They need a much bigger tank, I'd say 55 gallons for grow-out space and a decent number of them (6+).
You should also not keep a gourami and a betta together, particularly not in a small tank, as they can get extremely territorial with their relatives (and they are related).

If they were fighting, they would not be together, everyone is getting along. And theres no way im getting a 55 gallon tank, it will be 40 at the largest.

My apartment is also too small for my 2 cats, and im not planning on buying them a mansion anytime soon, they learn to deal with it, these fish wernt caught in the wild, I belive the word is domesticated. How big does a rosey grow to anyway......3" at the most? not to mention their tails are huge, which makes em look twice as big....

Barbs are avid fin nippers and it wont be long untill you betta isnt with you either. Bettas are brilliant on there own. they like peace and with some huge fish in there it wont be happy. maybe in a bigger tank where it can retreat to own little space.

I wouldnt get anymore shrimp.

Well im in an apartment with limited space, what size tank would you recommend?

At walmart they had a 40 gallon square tank with oak stand for $250(canadian) its high and not long(perfect square)

or another place has a 33 gallon long for $170

yet another place has a 55 gallon for around $300

now a 55 gallon seems pretty big for an apartment, altough we do have concrete floors, and I dont have a stand/table big enough for it. 33 seems to fit the bill well, and the price is right, its a starter kit, and i would upgrade the filter.

can you return the barbs? If you can then I would suggest this. buy a 1-5 gallon tank for the betta, buy a school of rummynose tetra or some other small schooling fish that isn't too active or aggressive, next I would buy 5-15 ghost shrimp. Then you'll have 1 adf 3-6 rummynose, a dwarf gourami, and some ghost shrimp. That should be fine in a well maintained 10 gallon. No need for a larger tank. BTW find out what the lfs that takes back your barbs is going to do with them.

Well im in an apartment with limited space, what size tank would you recommend?

At walmart they had a 40 gallon square tank with oak stand for $250(canadian) its high and not long(perfect square)

or another place has a 33 gallon long for $170

yet another place has a 55 gallon for around $300

now a 55 gallon seems pretty big for an apartment, altough we do have concrete floors, and I dont have a stand/table big enough for it. 33 seems to fit the bill well, and the price is right, its a starter kit, and i would upgrade the filter.

If you had to pick between those three, for myself, I'd pick the 33 gallon long or the 55 gallon. If you think you have your hands full, definitely go with the 33 gallon long.

I'm sure they would take them back and give me a store credit, but I dont want to. I mean, im not a huge fan of tiny fish, you can bearly see them. My betta is having no problems with them.

I'm not considering a new tank because I need it, I just want it :drool: I want to be able to have more than 5 fish...... and the 10 will become my hospital type tank.

I think I will go with the 33, seems a little more practical.........besides, exactly how big is a 55? 4' long?

Rosy barbs can grow to 5 inches, my neighbour has some pretty impressive ones. And being confined in a small tank, without a school, is not good for them. It's not about what type of fish you like- like any other pet, it's about what you can give a good home to. I would love to keep a pair of Siberian huskies, but I am very aware that I cannot offer them the life they would need, so I'm not going to get them.

If you get the 55 gallon, and then get the betta a little tank on his own, you would be able to keep the rosy barbs in a school the way that they want. But a 10 gallon should house small fish.

Thats what I 1st thought, it molted, but nope, then I saw flesh, and legs :crazy: and the roseys were still pickin at him......I saw that my lfs has bumble bee shrimp, they look a little nicer(and are almost $5 each!!!) but they are also smaller, I think I may try one, I got some new live plants and they need something to look after them......

Is it more likely it just died, then got eaten? I mean, it was a pretty big ghost shrimp, and quick too! Or are my fish killers?

The long finned rosey likes to be a pest and chase the smaller golden rosey, but dosent work so well on my crowntail! He just chases him, he dosent take no bullying. And just to make it clear, thats all they do is chases, nothing really physical.....

And if those roseys reach that long, i will take em back, do measurments include the tail? cuz its tail is almost as big as the fish(about 2" and about 1.5" for the golden) hopefully I can come up with some extra coin and get that 33 :good:

One more question off this topic-I saw a penguin bio wheel at the lfs I think it said 10-50 gallon for $42.xx is this a good deal? or should I go with aquaclear....or something else, right now im running a whisper 5-15 gallon, does whisper suck?

i don't think you have enough room for tetras.

ghost shrimp are very fun to have. i breed some, and whatching the new borns swim around the tank that small is so cute :blush:

Also dosent the flame gourami's get pretty big too? mines at about 2"

Most reactions

Back