Full Tank Clean

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

neesymac

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have had my tank for 4 months now and it's starting to look a little bit grubby - I clean the tank everytime i do a water change (once a week) but this green stuff keeps on sticking to the glass

My questions are

Would it ever be ok to do a full water change, wash the gravel and silk plants

If i put the fish in a large plastic fish tank how long could they stay in there without a pump?

Thanks

I'm new to Tropical....not even got the tank yet...but used to keep a reef aquarium...

I may be wrong, but I would think doing a full water change and cleaning the gravel would just about destroy your bio system and bring all sorts of poisoning problems to your fish. I imagine cleaning the silk plants wouldnt be a problem though....

Thanks Gav - I forgot about that - It's just that since i put bogwood in my tank about 1 1/2 months ago it has gone a bit yellow and i need to clean the gravel somehow.

I have a syphon but i have no idea how to use it as i ripped the packaging with the instructions on it

I have been too embaressed to go back to the shop and ask :blush:

Thanks Gav - I forgot about that - It's just that since i put bogwood in my tank about 1 1/2 months ago it has gone a bit yellow and i need to clean the gravel somehow.

I have a syphon but i have no idea how to use it as i ripped the packaging with the instructions on it

I have been too embaressed to go back to the shop and ask :blush:
If you have a siphon, gravel vac like this, basically plastic cylinder with a syphon tube attached it's real easy.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AQUARIUM-GRAVEL-CLEA...1QQcmdZViewItem

Just put the siphon tube into a bucket on the floor. Put the plastic cylinder end into the tank. Pump it up and down in the water until it starts siphoning into the bucket. Push it all the way down to the bottom of the tank, into the gravel so that the gravel gets sucked up into it then lift up to allow it to drop out again. Repeat this all over the tank bottom.

With regard to your algae problem, without any real plants it is almost impossible to prevent algae growth. All you can do is keep cleaning it off im afraid. If you plant heavily, covering 50% of your gravel, you will really help reduce your algae problems. Click the link in my signature for easy to grow plants.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That's the exact Syphone i have - i will try that tomorrow

See your tank looks beautiful and clean how do you manage that ?

Someone enlightened me to a very easy way to start a syphon. I always just sucked on the end of the hose. Simply submerge the whole thing and put your thumb over the end of the tube...not the gravel vac part...the other end. Then lift out the tube leaving the gravel vac in the tank. Put the end of the tube in the bucket and release your thumb. That's it. =)

Most reactions

Back