Fry Q’s - 4 Weeks Old

TimCAD

Reaction score
I have some questions concerning my 4 week old fry.

I have 1 fry (I’ll call him “Spot”) which appears to be 2 days ahead of the rest, developmentally. When I noticed Spot sporting some nice caudal fins, I noticed the same, in most of the other fry, 2 days later. When I noticed his anal fin, 2 days later, I noticed it on some others. Is this some kind of indicator, perhaps of a recessive gene/trait/characteristic?

Are there techniques for determining if the labyrinth organ has developed properly? I thought I would’ve noticed Spot going to the surface for air by now.

I’ve also noticed they like to gather in the hiding places I put in for spawning. I’ve left them in the tank and even added a couple “caves”. I make them by cutting small plastic trays in half – the kind that my microwave meals come in. Do you add any kind of structures to your fry tanks? Does it help to keep them off the bottom?

I’ve been “practicing” rearing fry of other species for the last 2+ years. In my “makeshift” spawn logs, I refer to each generation as G1.1, G2.1, G3.2, etc. G for generation, 3.2 would be a third generation male bred to a second generation female. I’ve noticed referrals to F1, F2, etc., spawns. Can someone point me in the right direction for proper genetic symbol usage?

Is there a term for a group of betta fry? I know livebearer spawns are referred to as “drops”.

Edit: Some superfluous information deleted so as to keep this post shorter.

Sounds like Spot is just ahead of the rest. It's perfectly normal for some to develop faster than others. Three of my babies got ventral fins a couple of days before the others :nod:

I never noticed mine going to the surface when their labyrinths developed, but that could be because I have an air stone in the tank. If none have randomly died by the 5th week, then their labyrinths have probably developed normally.

Generations are usually written as an F#, the F standing for "filial" which comes from the Latin words for son/daughter, and the number being the generation. F0 is the parental generation (can also be written as P), F1 is the first generation, and so on. As for proper genetic symbols...
http://www.bubblenest.net/geneticsymbols.html

yep spots normal, you get that in pretty much all fry, there will always be like 1 or 2 who grow faster or slower than the others, i guess its just a survival of teh fitest thing, "you dont have to out swim a predator, you just gotta outswim your siblings"

Well that’s cool then. I can keep an eye on him and see what to expect from the others in a couple days. I imagine he’ll be the first to be jarred.

Synirr said:
Generations are usually written as an F#, the F standing for "filial" which comes from the Latin words for son/daughter, and the number being the generation. F0 is the parental generation (can also be written as P), F1 is the first generation, and so on. As for proper genetic symbols...
http://www.bubblenest.net/geneticsymbols.html
[snapback]881531[/snapback]​
I can see my new spawn log will have considerably more columns. I think I’m looking for something more like a tracking number, to identify each fish’s spawn group. I guess I’ll have to revamp that too.

Thanks!

Most reactions

Back