Fry in cold water to warm water?

Esunman22

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if it would be possible to move my platy fry from a Coldwater/room temp tank to a warm tank with a heater? Would this shock them or is there any tips on how to do it? Really need help with this! There are only 12 fry in this tank it is a 25 litre
B6BBF744-1BE6-48AD-8192-CB4B8415D892.jpeg

Depends how big the difference is in temperature. They do withstand a 1 or 2 degrees difference without a problem. Otherwise, add some water from the warm water tank into a small cup (where the fry fit in) a couple of times with some breaks in between. That should do the job.

So could they possibly stay in the tank if I put a heater in it and only increase 2° a day? as we don’t have another tank just yet and the main tank is also having a heater put in.

Depends how big the difference is in temperature. They do withstand a 1 or 2 degrees difference without a problem. Otherwise, add some water from the warm water tank into a small cup (where the fry fit in) a couple of times with some breaks in between. That should do the job.

Another idea I had was using some bags that you bring the fish home in from the pet store when you buy them ( I have 10 of them brand new) putting the fry in there and floating that in the tank? I’m so confused on what to do But I don’t want to loose any fry as i have already lost a few

How much warmer is the tank? Can you adjust your heater temp? Yes the bag may work depending on how much of a temperature difference there is,

How much warmer is the tank? Can you adjust your heater temp? Yes the bag may work depending on how much of a temperature difference there is,
I’m not too sure, quite a lot I think? At the moment the fry are in room temperature water I have a thermometer on the way. But they will be needing to go into water around 76F as their tank will need to be heated up to that because there has been more platy fry born in 76F temperature water in another tank in a breeding box and they will need to be coming out some time this week into the fry tank

(I’m hoping this may make a bit more sense as I’m aware I’ve been a bit confusing sorry) This is the tank which is currently cold as the adult of these was in this tank in cold water and unfortunately died not long after having the fry, this tank has the 12 fry in. I am going to continue using this as a fry tank because I want to keep the fry and would like to keep them separate from my adult platy and molly fish (these are kept in 76F water as I learnt they are better in warm water). This tank needs heating up to 76F as one of my adult platy fish has had more fry in a breeding box in my other tank and as I have said I would like to keep those fry in this tank so I don’t loose any. I just don’t know what would be the best way to put these fry from the cold water into this tank once it is warm without loosing any. Shall I put them in the bag like I said and let it float, or would u suggest putting the fry in a bucket with an air stone in and keep adding cups of the warm water so they adjust to it or is there any other way of doing it. Please help me I’m so stuck on what to do!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 58
If you use a larger bag full of the cool water it will take longer to heat up giving your fry more time to adjust. The bucket method would also work but there would be more work involved as you would have to keep adding warm water. I would try the bag method. Good luck

If you use a larger bag full of the cool water it will take longer to heat up giving your fry more time to adjust. The bucket method would also work but there would be more work involved as you would have to keep adding warm water. I would try the bag method. Good luck
Alright thank you so much, will post how it goes :)

Most reactions

Back