Fruits and vegetables for my Fish

GamerGoldfish2

Reaction score
I have some Peppered Cory Cats and some Platies. I want to know what the best fruits and vegetables are for the 2 different species. I've read about zuchini, cucumber, bannanas, and strawberries. Is there anything that provides more health benefits.

Corydoras are micro-predators, feeding on small creatures in the sand. No fruits or veggies are good for them.

Platys will pick invertebrates out of algae, and eat some algae, but again, they aren't straight up herbivores. Here they have eaten frozen, then thawed zuccini slices, but I wouldn't make it a core diet. They picked at food I was putting in for Ancistrus species.

Bananas and strawberries are great for the few 'fructivores' in the hobby (most fruit eaters are larger fish than we keep in tanks), but both can foul the water fast. They're high sugar. If you have herbivorous fish and can get insecticide free romaine lettuce, frozen and thawed (that works like blanching) it's a good option.

I have some Peppered Cory Cats and some Platies. I want to know what the best fruits and vegetables are for the 2 different species. I've read about zuchini, cucumber, bannanas, and strawberries. Is there anything that provides more health benefits.
Hello Gamer. A good quality fish food would be better than people food. The fish foods are made specifically for fish and won't foul up the water chemistry if you feed sparingly.

10 Tanks (Now 11)

Algae and algae wafers will starve your Corys. They are not plant eaters.

Check the answer above (#2) that I took the time to offer to your question. Take a moment and read it.

Corydoras are micro-predators, feeding on small creatures in the sand. No fruits or veggies are good for them.

Platys will pick invertebrates out of algae, and eat some algae, but again, they aren't straight up herbivores. Here they have eaten frozen, then thawed zuccini slices, but I wouldn't make it a core diet. They picked at food I was putting in for Ancistrus species.

Bananas and strawberries are great for the few 'fructivores' in the hobby (most fruit eaters are larger fish than we keep in tanks), but both can foul the water fast. They're high sugar. If you have herbivorous fish and can get insecticide free romaine lettuce, frozen and thawed (that works like blanching) it's a good option.
What foods for my Corydoras do you recomend?

Algae and algae wafers will starve your Corys. They are not plant eaters.

Check the answer above (#2) that I took the time to offer to your question. Take a moment and read it.
Thank you for your help! Anything to improve the lives of my fish.

Most reactions

Back