Frozen Prawn Etc

Cris_L

Reaction score
Is it safe to feed freshwater tropical fish on frozen seafood such as muscles, prawns etc from a supermarket?

I was wondering if the sodium content would make a difference...? :crazy:

Depends if they are cooked or not!

I used to feed my puffer frozen (thawed out in tank water) prawns and muscles, loved them!

Surely bloodworm is a better bet as it is decontaminated and well known to be munched up

if you wash the prawns and chop them up in to cubes then wash them out in tank water they might be alright
but the best bet is to go with what lokko said

its for my new golden nugget. apparently they are fond of muscles etc.

they are fine and I have never had a problem using them. I have fed raw fish, prawn, squid, mussel and various other types of seafood.

the salt in the food won't be any problem as fish and shrimp only have a certain amount in them at any time. Their kidneys remove most of it.

prawn is actually a better food than bloodworms and has less associated problems.

if you are feeding a gold nugget plecostomus then they should only get a small amount of meat food once or twice a week. They are vegetarian and need lots of roughage. If they get too much meat food then it can rot while it is in their digestive tract and this can cause bloating and internal bacterial infections.
You would be better off feeding the fish on pumpkin, zucchini, and various other fruits and veges. They will also feed on plants and algae in the tank and should have access to some driftwood.

i feed my large tropical tank with flake and prawns everyday - ive never ever had any issues in doing this - the fish love them - i defrost them, and squeeze the water out before i chuck um in 'i have a large tank, so i end up putting in a hand full'

One bit of advise , don't leave them in there too long , i forgot and OMG when i took it out i nearly threw up with the smell.

I feed prawn, mussel, shrimp crayfish whitebait ... whatever I can get & they will eat, at least once a day.

always still frozen... I feed too much to waste time defrosting.... like 250g prawn & 150g other a day... plus flake/dry/live in season

hi peeps

i give my fish bloodworms as a treat and they are perfectly fine

if you are feeding a gold nugget plecostomus then they should only get a small amount of meat food once or twice a week. They are vegetarian and need lots of roughage. If they get too much meat food then it can rot while it is in their digestive tract and this can cause bloating and internal bacterial infections.

not the case. They should be fed high protein foods.

plecostomus are suckermouth catfish and have a sucking mouth for a reason. To graze on algae and wood.
All vegetarian fish have long digestive tracts and if they eat too much meat food it can rot in the intestine while it is being digested. This can lead to bloating from internal bacterial infections.

plecostomus are suckermouth catfish and have a sucking mouth for a reason. To graze on algae and wood.
All vegetarian fish have long digestive tracts and if they eat too much meat food it can rot in the intestine while it is being digested. This can lead to bloating from internal bacterial infections.

please do some reading on plecs in general before lumping them all into one group.

Most reactions

Back