Freshwater Mussel

rfisher

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has a Golden tropical Freshwater mussel in their tank. Saw them on Ebay, so thought I would ask.

Rich

do you mean swan muscles?
they sell them all around here, for around £1, but if i did want them, which i don't!, i could just go down to my local canal and get me plenty for free :shifty:

don't they clean the water or something?
i know they do something to the water to help it, but im not perfectly sure. :unsure:

I dont think they are tropical. I think they are cold water. They do a filter job but not enough to just leave a filter out. Also I think they are very difficult to keep alive for one reason or another. I'm not totally sure about that last bit though.

Yes I bought 5 off Ebay. I have them in the same tank as my 4 frogs and 2 snails. After the first few hours they dig into the gravel and you never see them again till you dig them out. I have had mine for about 1 1/2-2 months.

Or they could be hard to keep alive as they can't get the microscopic foods they need always in tanks. They need to be purposefully feed with similar stuff to what people use to feed corals. Most starve to death normally very slowly. These creatures can live for a long, long time given proper care.

also when they reproduce there spores burrow into and kill your fish :/

also when they reproduce there spores burrow into and kill your fish :/
No, they really don't. You're thinking of the glochidia produced by swan mussels. Yes, they settle on the gill filaments for a few days, and then drop off. Under normal circumstances they don't do any harm. Besides, it would be a major acheivement for anyone to get freshwater bivalves to breed in an aquarium. Normally, they merely die. It takes anything up to two years for the things to die, but die they do.

Freshwater mussels (family Unionidae) are big and elongate, rather like a pale yellow-green marine mussel (family Mytilidae). The species sold vary from country to country. Freshwater clams sold to hobbyists are almost always Corbicula fluminea, a tropical species from Asia considered a pest in many other countries (it may even be illegal to own in some). It is small, round, and rather globose in shape.

Either way, these are all extremely difficult to keep alive in a home aquarium for any reasonable length of time. For one thing, the freshwater mussels eventually die from heat exhaustion, as the common species in Europe and the US are coldwater species. Even under optimal conditions, feeding them is difficult because they will only accept plankton or some substitute (the sorts of things fed to marine clams, corals, etc.). In the wild, freshwater mussels live 100+ years, but most seem to linger for a few months, maybe a year, in an aquarium before they die. Freshwater clams are perhaps marginally easier because they like warm water, but still, feeding them is a challenge. You need the right foods, and then a method for squirting the food into the siphons (a turkey baster works well).

They DO NOT SCAVENGE and they will not "make do" just on water. All they will do is slowly die.

For most aquarists, these things are simply a waste of money.

Cheers, Neale

Hey nmonks thats just a fancy way of saying what I did :rolleyes:

I was only kidding, put the wrong emotion up. :good:

Most reactions

Back