freshwater flounder

Sky042

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I went to a LFS today and they had a tank full of what looked like round algae spots till I read the sign that said "flounder" I've never heard of freshwater flounder though I'd heard of freshwater stingray.

Anyone have any experiences with these guys. They were cute and about 1" discs moving around the tank.

That basically looks like them though these ones were very very small. like maybe 1 inch

I had four and they tryed to bury themselves under the gravel and then killed themselves with the weight.... not a smart fish lol. I suggest sand if you want some :lol:

Unfortunately the name freshwater flounder is misleading as they are a really a esturine fish so will need a large ammount of salt added to the water (brackish water fish). They can survive a short while in FW but need to be re aclimiated back to brackish conditions as soon as possible.

the ones in the picture is achirus errans and these re completely freshwater i know this from experience i bought one for £29 in my lfs and it managed to eat a whle shole of 25 cardinal tetras in less than a week what is the best thing to feed it and the best tank mates for it thanks for any info given well the peruvian ones are anyy way

They also need a VERY flat bottom. Either keep the substrate perfectly flat or, don't have any substrate at all... Just be careful when buying them, they can be sickly, plus they're hard to find. -_-

I had one for about half a year, but I have no idea why. He was sticking to the sides of the glass and acting like an algea eater.

KribFreak said:
I had one for about half a year, but I have no idea why. He was sticking to the sides of the glass and acting like an algea eater.
Are you sure that wasn't a Hillstream Loach? :)

I had one and my mom had one. I found that they did better in the sand that I had than the gravel that my mom has. Mine acted like algae eaters too, although they didn't last more than a couple of days because my nitrates were too high. :byebye:

i have four and no-they are not freshwater. they are always mislabeled as freshwater. they are brackish water. they can be kept in freshwater when they are very young but should be gradually weened to brackish water. most people keep them in fresh water and wonder why they die half a year later.
they prefer a sandy substrate as gravel could cut their delicate stomachs. they also only seem to take frozen bloodworms or tetra delica with bloodworms (it comes in little squeeze packets). the older ones feed at night. the younger ones will eat at just about anytime.
i have 2 babies with bb gobies in a 5 gal and 2 1 1/2 inch ones in a 10gal with guppies.
if you look them up on the web, often a lot of inaccurate information is given. not too much seems to be known about them. they are native to america though and can be found in estuaries in the south. all of the information above is from my personal experience. they are also called hogchokers.
they are great pets if given the right environment.

Most reactions

Back