Frequent Molly Deaths, What Is Happening?

I find sinking pellets a bit hard to feed, because the fish don't always eat them, since they are on the bottom, and then it goes to the snails. You could try alternating in some flakes, if you want. My fish tend to finish those thoroughly, and there isn't as much left for the snails. :)

Funny, mine freak out when I feed them. They actually see me in front of the tank getting the food container and come to attention, and attack the sinking pellet on the way down. They both suck on it until it is gone, every time. But if I notice that they are not fully eating it I will switch back to the generic flakes.

Thanks for the advice, I will pay attention to that!

Sorry I missed this earlier. I went through something very similar except I had to find things to raise my levels. I didn't get snails though.
If you want them to breed you need to feed them a combination of foods. (vary their diet) They need live, flakes, and vegitables. (all groups) If you have plants that they like to nibble that will help some. I feed mine (not all at one time) flakes, pellets, freeze dried foods, fresh vegitables, and they have a few plants to nibble along with algae waffers occasionally.
next... if you warm your water up to about 78 or 79(slowly) that will help some when breeding. Mine won't breed in cooler water. I really don't know why. I keep my temp at about 78 and go up to 80 when I breeding. The warmer themp seems to help with the ones that have trouble with labour too.
The only other thing that I really saw make a difference was regular water changes. They really like good water.
Everything else seems to have been covered already. Good luck.

An update for everyone:

The PH balanced off right around 8.1 after the salt addition. I'm not sure if the salt actually did the changing of the PH or not. So, to get the PH back down a little (8.0 being the highest recomended I have ever heard for Mollies) I purchased a bottle of 'PH Down.' The stuff worked great. Slow, steady, and very predictable drop of ph with just a few drops.

Anyway, the tank is stabilized now so yesterday I tossed in another very small female, adding to the current population of one male and one female. The Biowheel filter I bought (and cycled with the old, underwater filter still in the tank) is now in charge and working ace. I think that the underwater filter was stressing the fish out allot because of the current. Does anyone else have one of these things? It is cool.

The Mollies have started breeding again, that started the day I raised the temp from 75.6 to 78.4 oF. And I have added some heavy, fake plant cover for the new batch of fry that will (I'm sure) be coming soon.

Thank you all for your help in getting me to understand what was happening here, and if you have any advice in the future keep this thread going!

how much salt and how often are you suggesting he should add?, to keep mollies in good health. -_-

Most reactions

Back