Found a shrimp(?)

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Banafish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, so I found this guy out in my water tank can I get some identification and requirements to keep him alive? Thanks.
1728791389971.jpeg

Last edited:
I would suspect it’s in the crayfish family, but not sure of your native fauna

Here are some tips for raising crayfish in a tank, off the www.

Tank size: Small rectangular tanks of 15–20 square feet or large circular tanks of 15 feet in diameter work well.

Water depth: The water should be 1–3 feet deep and cover the back of the crayfish. Crayfish can't swim well and may suffocate in deep water.

Water temperature: For optimal reproduction, keep the water temperature between 75–85° F.

Tank stocking: Stock the tank with 1–2 crayfish per square foot of tank bottom. The ratio of females to males should be 1–4 females per male.

Breeding: Check the tank every 1–2 weeks for berried females. Once the eggs are attached to the female's pleopods, move her to a separate tank.

Incubation: The eggs take about six weeks to hatch.

Water quality: Test the water regularly.

Tank mates: If you're using old banana plants in the tank, leave them in for at least two weeks to help balance the pH.

Tank mates and climbing: Avoid putting too much pond weed in the tank, as crayfish can climb out if it gets to the side of the tank. Also, make sure the air stone

Freshwater crayfish similar to the Yabby, Gilgie or Marron found in Australia.

According to the internet there are two species of freshwater crayfish there.
Paranephrops zealandicus and Paranephrops planifrons. It could also be an introduced species if someone nearby is farming something from Australia (yabby maybe).

They are generally easy to keep but are nocturnal and will catch and eat fish at night. They also climb out of aquariums if the tank is too small or the water is bad so a coverglass helps. They eat anything from fish food to fish, shrimp and plants. You use the same sort of aquarium and filter as you would for fish.

In the wild they dig burrows into the mud and live in them. You can have caves or pieces of pvc pipe in the tank for them to live in. They are territorial and will fight if there's not enough room.

Males have a small lump on the bottom set of legs (closest to the tail).
Females have a small bump on the second set of legs from the top (closest to the head).

Most reactions

Back