For those of you that use timers on your tanks...

boozybears

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Today I FINALLY bought myself a timer for the lights on my tank (yes.. only took me 10 months :p ). I'd like to have the lights on for a few hours in the morning then again in the evening. Is this ok? What do you all do?

thanks!

Valerie

I'm trying to get rid of algae at the moment, so right now I go from 8am to 12pm then off till 3pm, then on again till 8pm!

9 hours in total

Edit: Good choice in getting a timer! They are invaluable, especially if your tank is planted!

Mine are on from 8am - 2pm, off from 2pm til 2 am, on again from 2 am until 6am, then a two hour break until 8am when it's on again. The 2 hour gap in between is an attempt to combat algae, but you don't need to do that if you don't want to...

I used to turn the lights on around 8am then turned them off around 9 or 10pm. This seemed too long, so lately I've just been turning them on when I get home from work at 5:30 then off at 11:00 but that doesn't seem long enough which is why I decided to get the timer.

I was thinking of doing something like having the lights on from 7am-10am then again from 5pm-11pm so for 9 hours in total. Does this sound reasonable or too much?

Val

mine are set for 9am to 9pm

boozybears said:
I was thinking of doing something like having the lights on from 7am-10am then again from 5pm-11pm so for 9 hours in total. Does this sound reasonable or too much?
Yea, 9 hours is defn. OK... Depends on what plants (if any) you have, and then 10-12 hours is alright. Nothing over 12 though...

I'm having an algae problem too, so right now my 10g tank comes on at 8 pm and shuts off at 11 pm. It does get a lot of natural light during the day. My 20g doesn't have a timer yet-I need to get one but there's only a skinny space in front of the outlet so I need a skinny timer. My betta tank is on from about noon until about 3 or 4 am. Not a very good schedule but he's in a blanket overnight (so no light or it'll get too warm) and I sleep until about noon. :p

My tank comes to life at 6:30 am and goes to bed at 11pm but by the sounds of it thats to long? you have me worried now :(

Mine does:

7.40am - 8 am (in case I need to feed in the mroning)
11am - 7.30pm (ish)

But I usually turn my other light on anyway (that isn't on a timer)

My timers are set to go on from 8 a.m. to 12 noon, off from 12 until 4, then on again from 4p.m. until 9.

It's 9 hours, not the 12 which I've read it optimal, but I'm trying to keep algae to a reasonable level while giving the plants what they need. It seems to be work for the plants I have. My Ambulia is taking over the tank it's in, it's grown up and right across the surface of the water so I'm cutting it back. Once I get rid of the surface cover, a lot more light will be reaching the lower plants and we'll see how things stand then.

One thing I did this week was replace the light. It was 6 mths old and I had read here on the forum that even though we can't tell the difference in the light output, the plants can. When I put it in, boy! What a difference in the quality of light! Even I could tell was a lot bluer.

this aqarium ecosystem stuff is so interesting!!
:cool:

My timer is set to come on at 9:30 am - 1:30 then off, then on from 5:30 pm-11:30 pm

On main planted tank 7am - midday and 5pm - 10.30pm

Just as a note to those of you trying to combat algae with a break in the lighting period you may have more success with a longer break - min 4 hours...

www :)

My lights come on at 10-30 , off at 13-30, back on 15-30 till 23-30 :crazy:

Most reactions

Back