Fluval U2 - Calling Owners

Nick16

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
hi guys, thinking of purchasing one of these for my nano, but i can find any dimensions on the net. (i used to be able to but i forgot the site! and now cant find it) :rolleyes:

also, i know it has the three output options, but can you use more than one of them at any time? - e.g the top and the middle.

also, any feedback on these filters would be super.

my tank is about 20-25L so im thinking the U1 is going to be good enough but it doesnt have the three outputs. (i really need the middle and lower ones)
at the moment i have a HOB filter and its not good because i cant get the heat spread around the tank. i tried a 50w heater and im currently using a 150W to no avail. it just cant push the heat around as expends all the force hitting the surface.
I plan on stuffing it with media of various kinds so the 250LPH of the U1 would probably drop to 175LPH roughly. So i moved up to the U2....

i understand these are 400LPH but the flow can be turned down?? (i have the old fluval + range and this was possible on them so im guessing its the same on the U Series filters?) - Clarification needed.
if so the larger media capacity would be super and a little more ummph when i need it.

but i really need the dimensions as i fear it going to be HUUGE in my tank. (i really dont mind as this is my breeding tank, but i dont want to be left with no space)

Hi Nick, ive also thought about one of these becuase of the range of options on it, as you discussed, however, to me, it appears a little bulky, on my 29 litre right now, im running one of those tiny 200lph filters that came with my arc tank, its super.. enough space for media, plastic isnt thick meaning it isnt taking up that much space, and it came with a spraybar, which would be useful in your situation.. Didnt you say you had an arc tank, what did you do with the filter?

sorry i couldnt be of much help regarding U1
Adam

it didnt come with a filter.
i cant run and external on it as i have no room and its so tiny.
but i need someting to push the water past the heater which the HOB doesnt do.

:nod: this is what i'm on about: http://www.warehouse-aquatics.co.uk/index.php?p=product&products_id=4304&cid=0

does the job fine.

this was modified from my U1 post so i need some answers on the U2.

1) Dimensions
2) Can the flow be turned down?
3) can i use more than one output option at any one time?

thanks.!!

(cheers for your help on the U1 ad)

Hi Nick.

My misses uses the U2 in her 2' tank and i use a U3 as additional filtering for my discus tank.

The info you asked for:

1) Dimensions
3 1/2" x 3 1/4" x 8"

2) Can the flow be turned down?
Yes, the knob on the top of the filter turns a tube inside the outlets allowing for reduced flow from whichever outlet you choose.

3) can i use more than one output option at any one time?
Afraid not, the above mentioned knob turns a plastic tube inside the filter enabling 1 of the 3 outlets at a time, i suppose you COULD strip the filter down and change the plastic tube to enable the other outlets etc..

Here is the manual for you to take a look at that describes the knob thing a bit better for you with a couple of pictures. http://www.hagen.com/pdf/aquatic/UFilter-4L-Instructions-ENG.pdf

Need more info dont hesitate to ask mate

I know this will fly in the face of the feedback that many other U series owners relay, but I've had bad experiences with 2 x U3's and a U1. The flow rate on both my U3's would reduce rapidly, despite regular routine maintenance and the flow on my son's U1 would stop almost completely, too, if we didn't pay particular attention to how the foam filter was positioned. If it was pushed down too firmly into the filter body it would tend to block the flow of water coming from the impeller. We regularly had to open the lid and ease the filter pad upwards a little in order to restore a decent flow.

Also (and this was the biggest issue for me) all 3 of these filters would commonly fail to start up again after being plugged back in following water changes. This was a real hassle as I usually had to resort to removing the filter from the tank and disengaging the motor section from the rest of the body in order to tap on the impeller. That tended to do the trick and the filter would burst back into life once plugged in again, but it was no fun having to do all that at the end of what was supposed to have been a quick routine water change. Also, I knew to look out for this, but my son sometimes didn't notice his U1 had failed to start after completing his weekly water change, meaning his tank went without filtration until either him or me eventually noticed no ripples on the surface. By the way, I came across a discussion on another forum where others had experienced this too.

Have now replaced both U3's and the U1 with the Eheim Aquaball equivalents and would never look back. The flow is significantly stronger at full pelt than the Fluval's, but can be reduced to almost nothing very easily and smoothly. The flow can be directed in all directions very easily due to the 'ball and socket' style head (much more than what is possible with the U series), they do not clog as quickly and (touch wood) they reliably start running again after having been powered-off.

If you were interested in the Aquaballs I would recommend the Aquaball 60 for you. It is the equivalent of the U2 in filtration capacity (480 lph) and about the same size . There is one smaller, the Aquaball 45, but this (like the U1) only has the one piece of foam media. My son has the 60 in his 35L tank and although the maximum flow was too much at the max setting he was able to reduce/re-direct it easily to suit all the inhabitants (a betta and some Copper Harlequins).

Not trying to 'flame' the U series at all, but you did ask for any feedback, so I thought it best to relay my experiences. If you do decide to go with a U2 then you are quite welcome to have one that I have for free (new and in its box, that I nearly replaced the U1 with) if SE London is anywhere near you and you fancied coming to collect!

thats excellent feedback guys, gives me something to think about. i think i still do want a U2 filter. but if yours wont get back going again i will buy a new one and hope it doesnt have the same problems. (if it does i will contact fluval)

I know this will fly in the face of the feedback that many other U series owners relay, but I've had bad experiences with 2 x U3's and a U1. The flow rate on both my U3's would reduce rapidly, despite regular routine maintenance and the flow on my son's U1 would stop almost completely, too, if we didn't pay particular attention to how the foam filter was positioned. If it was pushed down too firmly into the filter body it would tend to block the flow of water coming from the impeller. We regularly had to open the lid and ease the filter pad upwards a little in order to restore a decent flow.

Also (and this was the biggest issue for me) all 3 of these filters would commonly fail to start up again after being plugged back in following water changes. This was a real hassle as I usually had to resort to removing the filter from the tank and disengaging the motor section from the rest of the body in order to tap on the impeller. That tended to do the trick and the filter would burst back into life once plugged in again, but it was no fun having to do all that at the end of what was supposed to have been a quick routine water change. Also, I knew to look out for this, but my son sometimes didn't notice his U1 had failed to start after completing his weekly water change, meaning his tank went without filtration until either him or me eventually noticed no ripples on the surface. By the way, I came across a discussion on another forum where others had experienced this too.

Have now replaced both U3's and the U1 with the Eheim Aquaball equivalents and would never look back. The flow is significantly stronger at full pelt than the Fluval's, but can be reduced to almost nothing very easily and smoothly. The flow can be directed in all directions very easily due to the 'ball and socket' style head (much more than what is possible with the U series), they do not clog as quickly and (touch wood) they reliably start running again after having been powered-off.

If you were interested in the Aquaballs I would recommend the Aquaball 60 for you. It is the equivalent of the U2 in filtration capacity (480 lph) and about the same size . There is one smaller, the Aquaball 45, but this (like the U1) only has the one piece of foam media. My son has the 60 in his 35L tank and although the maximum flow was too much at the max setting he was able to reduce/re-direct it easily to suit all the inhabitants (a betta and some Copper Harlequins).

Not trying to 'flame' the U series at all, but you did ask for any feedback, so I thought it best to relay my experiences. If you do decide to go with a U2 then you are quite welcome to have one that I have for free (new and in its box, that I nearly replaced the U1 with) if SE London is anywhere near you and you fancied coming to collect!

I have to say.. What you are describing is what will happen when one does not clean the impeller and the impeller well..

It is word by word, what will happen!

Also you say you opened the impeller room? And gave it a nudge to get startet again? That will result in it getting stuck again...

Why did you not take the impeller out, and claen the well and the impeller?

Not to defend the U series or nothing..

But it seems everyone that complains about this series, are people unable to clean it properly.. (Properly/Fully clean it like ever 4'th month or so.. And one should be fine.. Never clean it, and one could just as well trow it in the garbage right away.)
smile.png

PS: I own two Fluval U2 .. And had a lot of trouble in the start. (The stuff you mention, word by word.)
Then I learned to clean them properly. And now they run flawlessy and have dones so for at least 1 year! ..

On a side note: The middle cartridge with the biomax pelets, has a bad desing of sorts.
So when ever the flow slows noticably down in my tanks, I just take the middle one out and clean the "exit vent" .. It VERY easily clogs up, and that will stop the whole sytem dead..

Takes about 20 seconds to with a cotton stick..

(PS: I have not tested to just remove that silly grid on the "exit", but i recon it is like that for a reaon. But if anyone know what I mean and have removed it, please tell me how that worked out?)

I also agree with this. I'm currently in the process of swapping out my u3 as its been a pain.

Most reactions

Back