Fluval stratum volcanic soil - not clearing in tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

luke4868

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello!

I’m setting up my tank after not using it for a few years and got some of this gravel/soil. Meant to be good for my shrimp to be.

However, despite cleaning it repeatedly for about an hour before putting in tank, fine dust is still coming off it.

So its now in tank and cleared about 75%, but each time the soil is disurbed loads more dust comes up. Its a real pain!

Any advice? Its been running through filter for 3 days now and mostly clears. But returns as soon as magnet cleaner moves the soil or such.

Really thought it would have settled by now

One of the many reasons I'd never use soil in a tank...you can try poly batting in the filter(s), replace daily (don't disturb your filter media, of course)...but every time that substrate gets disturbed, it's going to happen

These soils for shrimps as the Japanese did it with Caridina cantonensis, the famous bee shrimp, were originally driven with a simple air panel gravel filter that absorved the water into the soil preventing this way the dust coming out into the water, other animals as these minuscule shrimp are difficult to be kept, but it's possible, the soil remove the carbonate off the water and it's suitable for deep black water of Rio Negro habitat or chocolate gourami and so on.

Hello!

I’m setting up my tank after not using it for a few years and got some of this gravel/soil. Meant to be good for my shrimp to be.

However, despite cleaning it repeatedly for about an hour before putting in tank, fine dust is still coming off it.

So its now in tank and cleared about 75%, but each time the soil is disurbed loads more dust comes up. Its a real pain!

Any advice? Its been running through filter for 3 days now and mostly clears. But returns as soon as magnet cleaner moves the soil or such.

Really thought it would have settled by now
It sounds to me that you haven't rinsed it thoroughly enough. I soaked my Fluval soil for several hours and then rinsed it four times before putting it my tank. Even then, it took 7 hours to settle.

I have used a couple of aquarium soil substrates but I never rinse them first. Each particle is like a dirt clog you used to find as a kid, the more you handle them them more you damage them. You will never be able to clean them entirely like sand and gravel and if you rinsed it for an hour there is a possibility that you damaged the soil structure. Fluval says to lightly rinse the soil.

When I used aquarium soil I placed each small scoop gently near the bottom of the tank, then slowly filled the tank as to not disturb the soil. I would have rinsed the soil like gravel or sand when I got it but my LFS advised me against it.

After filling I ended up with a very silty looking tank for about a week then for about a month and a half I had an almost blue haze in the tank from the soil particulates. After the plants got fully established the water started to look and stay crystal clear. After a year and a half though the soil accumulated a lot of organic material that was difficult to pick up during the cleanings and I started getting algae issues. I have since gone to sand.

I have used a couple of aquarium soil substrates but I never rinse them first. Each particle is like a dirt clog you used to find as a kid, the more you handle them them more you damage them. You will never be able to clean them entirely like sand and gravel and if you rinsed it for an hour there is a possibility that you damaged the soil structure. Fluval says to lightly rinse the soil.

When I used aquarium soil I placed each small scoop gently near the bottom of the tank, then slowly filled the tank as to not disturb the soil. I would have rinsed the soil like gravel or sand when I got it but my LFS advised me against it.

After filling I ended up with a very silty looking tank for about a week then for about a month and a half I had an almost blue haze in the tank from the soil particulates. After the plants got fully established the water started to look and stay crystal clear. After a year and a half though the soil accumulated a lot of organic material that was difficult to pick up during the cleanings and I started getting algae issues. I have since gone to sand.
Ah bugger. This does sound like whats happened. I’ve got some gravel so may have to swap it over to that. Can’t be doing with the tank not being clear and running into algae issues further down the line.

Shame, was an £18 bag!

I haven't found fish keeping to be particularly cheap. I have spent a bit on substrates, as I look around my office there is an Tropica aquarium soil bag, some ground glass blast media I am currently experimenting with, some sand I drove two hours to get to a location I could launch my canoe to collect. Outside I have a number of five gallon pails filled with Florite black sand, play ground sand, and pool filter sand. Right now I am trying to source some Garnet blast media but not having much luck, and have finally sourced some Black Beauty coal slag media that I want to try. I really like the darker colored substrates but the sand I collected and the heavily washed playground sands have been the most effective for me. Of course these have been collected the years but I am still searching for the ultimate substrate but expect I won't find it.

I haven't found fish keeping to be particularly cheap. I have spent a bit on substrates, as I look around my office there is an Tropica aquarium soil bag, some ground glass blast media I am currently experimenting with, some sand I drove two hours to get to a location I could launch my canoe to collect. Outside I have a number of five gallon pails filled with Florite black sand, play ground sand, and pool filter sand. Right now I am trying to source some Garnet blast media but not having much luck, and have finally sourced some Black Beauty coal slag media that I want to try. I really like the darker colored substrates but the sand I collected and the heavily washed playground sands have been the most effective for me. Of course these have been collected the years but I am still searching for the ultimate substrate but expect I won't find it.
Indeed! I’ve spent a fair amount over the decade I’ve been doing it on and off. But doesn’t phase me, still enjoy it. I now have my first child who is love with fish it appears so just had to start it back up!

My LFS, who are usually very knowledgeable
But in this case he informed you wrong, if this is actually for plants it should have been well covered with gravel or sand to keep staying clean, the Japanese soils for bee shrimps desintegrate after 2-3 years under the water, they are made of clay they have a lot of minerals and other stuff, after this time the soil is not absorving the KH any longer and must be renewed.

Most reactions

Back