Fluval Plus 3 Filter

Aquaman2009

Reaction score
Hi all,

Think I might have a made a bit of a mistake in relation to my Fluval Plus 3 filter, basically when I bought it and took it out of the box, there were already two pads inside there (rough lining ones each of them), but I also got 1 black sponge and one white sponge separate to the ones already inside the cannister, what I did was, without touching the rough lining media already in there, I put the 1 separate black media on top of one of the rough lining thingy already in there, and the other separate white media on top of the other...

I hope I'm explaining this OK because somebody has just told me that I shouldn't have put any other filter media on top of the ones already in the cannister...I thought I read the instructions OK and that was what I was supposed to do, I thought the rough lining thingy's already in the cannister were supposed to be there anyway, and that the black/white sponges I got with it went over these...

It's probably worth pointing out at this stage, that my fishless cycle went just fine and finished up two weeks ago, and I've had fish swimming about happily since, the filter itself seems to be working absolutely perfectly too and my tank looks spotless...but should I have put the 2 separate media inside there??

Thanks again

Hi -

The black one is a carbon filter for taking out small particles and medications - the carbon is only useful for about a week before you need to replace that black pad. The white once is a fine polyester filter - again for taking out small particles.

The two already in the filter are your main filter pads. It doesn't hurt that you have put these two extra pads in there.

Were all of these pads in there during your fishless cycle?

I would avoid messing around with the pads too much if this is the filter you used during the fish-less cycle - as all your good bacteria will be growing on these pads. When you next do your filter maintenance you may want to take half the black carbon filter out first (cut it in half) - then next time remove the other half -
Then carry on with the two main pads and the polyester pad from then on in just giving them a quick rinse in tank water when you do your maintenance.

TBH, I'd take the carbon sponge out; you'll only really need it if you have to take any medication out of the tank. The two main sponges plus the fine white one will be more than adequate. The two larger white sponges you can use until they fall apart, but the fine one will need replacing more regularly. When you do have to replace the main ones, just replace one at a time, change the second one a good month later.

Most reactions

Back