Fluval Peat Granules to lower pH

mrsjoannh13

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon tank and would like to lower the pH slightly. The pH has been getting slowly higher from my (filtered) tap for some reason. A couple of months ago I was a 7.6 - 7.8 and now I'm at 8.2. I have glofish tetras (skirt tetras) only in the tank. They all seem to be doing very well but I think the pH may be inching up a bit too high for them.

I purchased some Fluval peat granules and was going to put a small amount in a mesh filter bag and see if I can slowly get the pH down using the peat. Has anyone used this product and have any input on it?

I have a Marina S20 HOB filter along with a sponge filter in the tank. Otherwise my water parameters are:
Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate 0 (it is a cycled tank - nitrates are somewhere between 0 and 5).
Hardness (GH) 25
chlorine 0
Alkalinity (KH) 120

Thank you!

I have not used this method before for lowering my pH, but as long as it’s not gardening peat granules or anything like that, this method is safe and affective. The peat granules contain tannis, same as driftwood.

I have not used this method before for lowering my pH, but as long as it’s not gardening peat granules or anything like that, this method is safe and affective. The peat granules contain tannis, same as driftwood.
Yep, it's definitely not garden variety (pun intended) peat. I have some of that and decided against it out of an abundance of caution. What I got is a product from Fluvall specifically for aquarium use.

Most reactions

Back