• Comparable eheim

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

gazeddy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
need a filter for my 42g what is a comparable eheim. most likely to be an ebay buy as my lfs only carry fluval or aquavital and they seem to be really expensive in there compared to other places ive seen them

Your best bet is the eheim 2217, massive flow rate and as reliable as they come,

whats the difference between 2217 and 2227 and 2236

the 2227 is the wet/dry version, with a self priming unit and fairly sophisticated technology,
the 2236 ecco isn't in the same league as the other two and is a cheap version IMO and i'm sure isn't even made by eheim

the 2217 is self priming and has only one running part but is known to last for around 20 years if maintained properly, It also has a higher flowrate than the other two filters,

At the end of the day it really comes down to the priming aspect IMO, if you want an easy life then go for the self priming 2227 but if you don't mind spending a little time syphoning water into the cannister to start the flow on startup then the classic 2217 is well worth it at half the price of the 2227

Eheim for sure.
It comes down to what you want to spend. The 2217 is a great workhorse filter. Not a lot of bells and whistles, just a great build quality and reliable filter.
The 2227 is an amazing bio-filter thanks to the built in wet/dry chamber. It also has a wavemaker function. However you will end up paying much more for this more advanced system.
I have them both and can vouch for both of them.

how deep are your pockets?

But with the wet dry filter can I use my own media Or do I have to use Their media

But with the wet dry filter can I use my own media Or do I have to use Their media

i have an eheim 2217 running on my 130 gallon, (underfiltered i know, but it says good up to 160 gallons) and i love it, i havent had any problems with it yet, andi bought it for $120-130 US

another vote for eheim here. i have never ran a 2217 so can comment on them specificly but i currently run a 2028 external and a 2212 internal and both are superb. eheim a reknowned for build quality performance and longevity .

I have a fluval 305, a fluval internal, a fluval fx5 and an eheim 2078e and none have had any issues so far.
The fluvals are good value.

People say eheim's are better which is true on the smaller sizes so if you have deep pockets get an eheim if not go fluval

got my eye on a eheim on ebay and atm its cheaper than the 205 but its a wet/dry one and im a little nervous to leave technology i know and go to this new fangled stuff but reading the manual i can make it operate normally

got my eye on a eheim on ebay and atm its cheaper than the 205 but its a wet/dry one and im a little nervous to leave technology i know and go to this new fangled stuff but reading the manual i can make it operate normally

Operation isn't really much more complicated, just the function it provides.
Its self priming, and once you turn it on it runs itself like any other canister.
Definitely a good choice.

Most reactions

Back