Fluval Edge

Livewire88

Team TetraTEC
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I popped over to my sister in laws yesterday and it turns out she has just bought a Fluval Edge (23 litre) and also a Betta, she was sold both by a local garden center without being told anything about cycling which was a bit naughty :grr:

Straight away I explained that this was not good, so to help out I went home and removed some media from one of my externals and added it to the new HOB filter that was on the back of the Fluval Edge, whilst checking out the tank I was surprised with the HOB filter as it seems half decent! has loads of room for media and pumps out a decent flow which is also adjustable. I set the flow at the lowest setting which seemed fine for the Betta, in the short space of time I was sorting the tank out it actually grew on me and fitted in well with her kitchen. I thought "why not try and make this look even nicer" so talked the sister in law into buying some bog wood with Moss and Anubias already attached, after attaching some spare Java Fern and removing the crap ornaments we put the wood into the tank and also a Crypt, few bits of Vallis and 5 moss balls and here is the result. (pictures taken with iphone)

photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

Things now got a little annoying because she starts saying what other fish can I put in the tank!! she fell in love with some Pygmy Corys when we were out buying the wood. I swiftly said that the tank only really has enough room for the Betta and said not to add anything else, I was maybe a little forceful when I said this and she just said to me "well its my tank, and if I want to add more fish I will" :sly:

This wound me up a little after the time I had spent to help out, and went home feeling a little bemused! I have never kept Pygmy Corys before but do you think she would get away with adding 2 or 3 Pygmys? I know she shouldn't but I am 99% sure she will end up buying even bigger fish otherwise.

I had an Edge, lovely looking tank, but a nightmare to keep clean.
The filter flow was a bit strong for the Betta, but he learned to avoid it.
You can't fill it to the top if you have a Betta as the air hole is small & that's where the filter flow is strongest
I had a Betta in mine & 3 Pygmy corys & they did fine
As long as she keeps up with regular water changes & maintenance etc all should be ok

I had 6 pygmy cories in a 28L and I must say they weren't very active - whether it was tank size or if they felt threatened by my betta I won't know (though I never really saw him attack them or anything and it was heavily planted). From my experience, I'd personally say no for the pygmys - they do do better in groups and larger tank sizes, though they may work out better for your sister than they did for me (as they must have done for cazgar).

I like the decor btw, nice job :good:

How is the LED light system with your plants? my Chi LED is not good for live plants, killed them all over time.

I had an Edge, lovely looking tank, but a nightmare to keep clean.
The filter flow was a bit strong for the Betta, but he learned to avoid it.
You can't fill it to the top if you have a Betta as the air hole is small & that's where the filter flow is strongest
I had a Betta in mine & 3 Pygmy corys & they did fine
As long as she keeps up with regular water changes & maintenance etc all should be ok

Hey, thanks for the advice. I did think it will be a nightmare to clean but hopefully it will be kept nice and clean, the tank is filled to the top and the Betta seems to do fine going up for air when he needs to but I will make sure she keeps an eye on him. I am going to advise her to leave the tank for a month or so and then maybe add a few Pygmys :good:

I had 6 pygmy cories in a 28L and I must say they weren't very active - whether it was tank size or if they felt threatened by my betta I won't know (though I never really saw him attack them or anything and it was heavily planted). From my experience, I'd personally say no for the pygmys - they do do better in groups and larger tank sizes, though they may work out better for your sister than they did for me (as they must have done for cazgar).

I like the decor btw, nice job :good:

Hello, I have told her that she should just keep the Betta on his own but I am 99% sure she will just buy other fish anyway so I am trying to give her as best advice as possible, if it goes wrong I can always re home the Pygmys in one of my tanks. :)

How is the LED light system with your plants? my Chi LED is not good for live plants, killed them all over time.

Well the tank has only had plants in for a few days so time will tell, the LED's seem bright enough but the light is mainly spread over the middle third due to the design. The plants we have added are easy to keep so I think it will be fine (fingers crossed) :cool:

My pygmies are still tiny even though they're in a bigger tank, so I think it could work, 6 and a betta... But that would probably be it. Maybe a snail or two.

Over time your plants may go brown, get holes, and die. That is my experience with these types of tanks and lights.

Over time your plants may go brown, get holes, and die. That is my experience with these types of tanks and lights.

Only time will tell I guess :good:

My first impressions of the lighting is good, the small bit of Vallis is allready sending out runners and the Anubias has new leaves growing so the lighting cant be that bad, maybe you just had bad luck :X

I will get some more pics up in a month or so to show how it progresses :)

Most reactions

Back