Fluval Edge

derbyram10

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Returning to fishkeeping after a break of 20 odd years.Seen this set up in a couple of local shops and wonder what the pro's and cons are.I realise that the number of fish I can keep will be limited.Is it suitable for live plants and are there any real problems with this set up.If anyone has one or has had one would you be kind enough to give your views and tell me what you found to be a good balance of fish and plants.Any help would be appreciated.
My 2nd choice at the moment is an Elite 60 which is a more traditional set up with a Sunglo tube to aid plant growth,again any observations welcome.

Many thanks
Andrew

Hi everyone,
Returning to fishkeeping after a break of 20 odd years.Seen this set up in a couple of local shops and wonder what the pro's and cons are.I realise that the number of fish I can keep will be limited.Is it suitable for live plants and are there any real problems with this set up.If anyone has one or has had one would you be kind enough to give your views and tell me what you found to be a good balance of fish and plants.Any help would be appreciated.
My 2nd choice at the moment is an Elite 60 which is a more traditional set up with a Sunglo tube to aid plant growth,again any observations welcome.

Many thanks
Andrew

hi welcome to the forum :good:
i don't know anything about the flulval edge but i would like one, i have an elite 60 and would advise to upgrade the filter that comes with it (stingray 15) it is rubbish to much flow for the tank and generally not good but everything else is fine after 6 months.
hope this helps.

Hi everyone,

Many thanks
Andrew

hi welcome to the forum :good:
i don't know anything about the flulval edge but i would like one, i have an elite 60 and would advise to upgrade the filter that comes with it (stingray 15) it is rubbish to much flow for the tank and generally not good but everything else is fine after 6 months.
hope this helps.

Thanks for the welcome and reply.As you have a traditional set up with your Elite I consider you must be a 'proper' fishkeeper,so to read that you would like a Fluval Edge suggests it is a decent product.I say that because I wondered what the real hobbyist thought of it and you seem to have supplied the answer.

Thanks Andy

Welcome to the forum Derbyram.
I have seen those tanks and find them very nice looking but I don't regard them as very practical. Even something as easy to fit as a heater would be tough to do with the wide top flange on the tank. Running any kind of external filter would require lots of modification. As nice as they look, I will not be getting one any time soon.

I saw an Edge at a store this past week, and it really is an impressive looking tank, but I think OM mentioned the most likely issues: add a heater difficult?, stuck with the included filter design. I read some user reviews on the tank that also said it is hard to reach into the opening the clean the tank. Plus not much surface area exposed for oxygen exchange.

We have had an Edge tank for over a year now.No problems with a heater fitting ,Fluval do a full range of bits for the Edge.
We only have small tetras in there at the moment we did have plants but found algae to be a problem so only have plastic plants now.
The filter on them is great it only took 2 weeks to cycle the tank fishless.
You can get better value for money with other tanks but the Edge looks fantastic.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/338187-fluval-edge-with-led-light-setup/page__hl__edge__fromsearch__1

I think we all agree that it is a nice looking tank SilverBlack. The point many of us come down to is about practicality, not appearance. If you must buy things only from Fluval to work with it, that in itself makes it less practical. If Fluval ever stops producing special purpose products for it, where are you going to be?

Ive had the Edge tank for over a year now and the only thing ive bought extra is new media and a filter.

Most reactions

Back