Fluval Bio-Stratum Questions

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lillypad101

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I have some questions about the Fluval Bio-Stratum substrate I have in my 20 gallon long sorority. I cycled it for 2 months until the ammonia and nitrite were 0, and nitrates were 10-20. It has been 1-2 months since it was cycled. Every time I do a water change, the substrate turns the water dark brown, and it is almost impossible to see the fish. I didn’t rinse the substrate before I put it in the tank, because the Bio-Stratum has bb that I didn’t want to kill. I tried to cap it with 10lbs. (1 inch) Carib-Sea Supernatural sand, but it ended up mixing with the bio-stratum, and not helping much.
My questions:

1. how do I stop the bio-stratum from clouding the whole tank every water change?
2. Should I get more sand for the cap?
3. How do I stop the sand and bio-stratum from mixing?
4. If I add more sand, will I have to re-cycle the whole tank?
Thank you for any advice you can give!

1. how do I stop the bio-stratum from clouding the whole tank every water change?

You cannot stop this, it will eventually (I assume) wear out, but I don't know how fast or completely. If memory serves me, most so-called plant substrates should never be touched as in "cleaning" with a water changer.

2. Should I get more sand for the cap?
3. How do I stop the sand and bio-stratum from mixing?

This is inevitable, the finer grain sand will always work its way down. There is a natural water flow in a substrate, the cool tank water percolates down, is warmed by the natural bacterial actions, and then rises back up into the upper water column. Some fish like to poke in the substrate. Both of these mix it up over time.

4. If I add more sand, will I have to re-cycle the whole tank?

No. More sand will mix more anyway. But if I were you, I would take this Fluval Stratum out, and replace it with inert sand. The plants will do just as well, and there will be nothing to worry about concerning harm to the fish from the substrate. These plant substrates are bacterial issues for fish like cories and loaches especially.

Most reactions

Back