Fluval 404 quality?

Humboldt

Reaction score
A local store has the Fluval 404 model 20% off for $110 US.

I'm thinking of getting one for my Oscar in a 55 gallon tank.

Trying to look up some info online and am getting several reviews stating it does an outstanding job of filtering the water but that it has to be cleaned with almost each water change and has some cheap and fragile plastic impeller parts. They say the entire pump must be broken down and each individual piece cleaned, and that the cheap plastic pieces break very easily after a while and render the filter inoperable.

Any feedback on this canister filter would be appreciated. They also carry a Magnum line, so I'm curious as to whether one of those might be a btter choice (only lsf around here).

Thanks

I've got the next model down, the fluval 304, and have not had a problem with it yet! I clean it about every 2-3 weeks, is been running for just over a year with no problems...nothing has broken yet (touches wood ;) )

Have never tried the magnums so carnt comment on them

Thanks for the help guys.

Not sure what to think now though. None of the local stores carry that magazine so that doesn't help me much.

I know the Eheims get good reviews but no one around here carries them either, jusst the Fluvals and the Magnums.

I don't mind shelling out the money for a 404 if it's going to last me several years, but I have a hard time understanding why they'd put such fragile pieces in their filter, nor why the design would require so muych maintainance.

Njparton, does the noise go away after you clean the impeller?

Humboldt said:
Njparton, does the noise go away after you clean the impeller?
No.

If it gets any worse I may try buying a new impeller shaft.

The conclusions from the magazine were to pay more and go with Eheim.

The vast majority of Eheim owners (over 80% as I recall) rated their filters as either silent or very quiet. A larger proportion of the fluval owners rated theirs as either very quiet or noisy.

That convinced me to look at Eheims should I need to in future.

Can't you buy an Eheim off the web?

njparton said:
I'm an impatient person, heh.

Just got back from buying the 404. Seemed like it's a decent choice for me as my funds are rather limited and all the reviews say it does an excellent job (not considering the problems with the impeller, just in regards to the water cleansing) for the price.

An Eheim would be nice but seems like I'd be paying a lot more after the increase in cost for a comparably (sp?) priced Eheim and the shipping.

Live and learn. If I have trouble with this one I won't buy them again. Not to mention I'm stil looking for a bigger-then-my-current 55-gallon and might need 2 externals in the future.

Thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated :)

Humboldt said:
njparton said:
I'm an impatient person, heh.

Just got back from buying the 404. Seemed like it's a decent choice for me as my funds are rather limited and all the reviews say it does an excellent job (not considering the problems with the impeller, just in regards to the water cleansing) for the price.

An Eheim would be nice but seems like I'd be paying a lot more after the increase in cost for a comparably (sp?) priced Eheim and the shipping.

Live and learn. If I have trouble with this one I won't buy them again. Not to mention I'm stil looking for a bigger-then-my-current 55-gallon and might need 2 externals in the future.

Thanks for the input everyone, much appreciated :)
The water quality in my tank since I bought a 104 has been superb.

I ignored the bit in the instructions that tells you which order to put the media in and went this way:

coarse screen > biological > green-X (had a recent white algea bloom) > filter gloss

At the moment I've also got some activated carbon in there to remove the last of the white spot treatment I put in over the past few weeks, but that will come out soon - never had a problem with elevated ammonia levels.

Can't recall what order the instructions suggested but I think they said carbon before biological which seemed wrong to me - if you do that you'll be depriving the bacteria at the biological stage of ammonia. Put the biological media in as early as possible :thumbs:

I have the following Hagen filters:

Fluval 204 external - running eight months now on 170l cichlid tank. Rinsed media once, have to clean intake strainer in tank every two-three weeks due to java moss. No noise at all.

Fluval 104 external - running three months on mixed small community fish tank. Rinsed meda twice haven't needed to clean strainer yet. Sometimes a little noisy, cleaing media stops noise.

Fluval Plus 2 internal - running one month on above tank as secondary filtration. No noise, no clogging as yet. N.B. this was introduced as emergency filtration when the 104 had to be switched off for a couple of days due to some idiot (me) treading on the Aqua_Stop valve during a cleaning session.

2 x Fluval 104 external - running two weeks on a saltwater nano reef. These are both running with no media in them as water circulation not as filtration and make no noise. There is a carbon bag in one at the moment to polish the water for a few days.

In general I have had almost no problems with Fluvals at all and would recommend them. However, bear in mind that in the UK we do not have the same range of filters available as you guys do.

HTH, Eddie

I have a fluval 304 the only problem I have ever had with it in 7months is the tubes getting nasty and it's a pain to clean them out. With the stand doors closed you can't even hear the filter running.

As my Nano and the FW community tanks are side by side I have three 104s sitting at the front of the tanks (easier for maintenance). THis is right by my sofa and I can hardly hear them......

Hmph :(

Maybe I damaged the impeller shaft in my 104 during cleaning and it's causing the impeller to vibrate? Mine is in the tank stand cupboard and I can hear it in the other room when I have the TV on mute :unsure:

Have to see if I can replace the shaft - they can't be that expensive?

I have the 304 on my 55 gallon tank. The output is great, it is very silent, and it seems to do a very good job while providing options for the modular trays. My only complain is that the corregated tubing holds a lot of crap in it.

knutty said:
My only complain is that the corregated tubing holds a lot of crap in it.
That's what a lot of people are saying. I think Eheim use smooth tubing - I wonder why Fluval use corregated?

i have no idea. but i am sure it could be changed. the price is right. www.bigalsonline.com always has good prices on them.

Most reactions

Back