Fluval 4 Too Big For Tank

tenohfive

Always room for one more tank...
Reaction score
I've just set up a 90L (3ft x 1ft x 1ft) tank for dwarf african cichlids, and have just added a Fluval 4+ internal filter.

The filter is massive, I didn't realise it was so big. It stands a couple of inches above the tank - not in itself a problem. I just wondered if the fact the bottom of it is resting on the substrate (play sand) is going to be a problem?

If not, I'll jury rig something to redirect some of the output towards the edge of the tank or something, so the flow rate doesn't cause problems in the tank. Or buy a spray bar for it.

If having the bottom of the filter resting on the substrate is a problem I thought about replacing it with a Fluval 2+, and was wondering if that would be powerful enough?

Cheers
Chris

hi, in answer to your question, i don't think having the filter restig on the substrate would cause any problems, mine is literally a couple of cm away from the bottom and as long as the areas where the water is drawn in arn't coveredi think it'll be ok. i have a 3 ft tank and it holds 22 gallons of water. for this i use a 3+ filter which works fine, if you do decide to replace/exchangethe filter i would go for a 3+ instead of a 2+ as it's better to be oer than under filtered, especially when your tank becomes fully stocked. however, when you buy the filters, it should say on the box what tank sizes they are suitable for, and fluval are a good brand.
hope that helps, and good luck with the cichlids. i have 2 kribs in my tank at the mo and the female hates the male, i gotta take him back to the shop and get a new one for her.

IIRC, you don't have to stand the 4 Plus upright; it can be laid on the bottom, too. Just make sure you don't block the intake.

u have seen my set up...i have flu 3s in mine and they sit on sand...the intake is at side ...just with mine have to watch the sand the plecs kick around...as for having a flu 4 in the tank...the bigger the better

Most reactions

Back