Fluval 305 External Filter

hollanda88

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Not turned it off since i got it yeat (1 week) and it says to lift the black lever (flow rate and stop cock) all the way up and then to turn off the power. Wondered if this is right, as then the impeller will be running against a brick wall.

Didn't want to break it straight away lol

andrew

i turn off at the mains and un plug

pull up blac leaver to stop flow from the pipes

pull up silver one to disconnect from filter

then take off lid

i stop the water flow, then turn it off at the plug as it says in the instructions, never had any probs.

Huh. I've always turned it off first. I read the instructions, but I guess I missed that part, lol. Common sense just told me that if the filter was running while I upended the lever, water might go gushing everywhere (as it is, I still prepare myself for a siphoning action when I lift the lever, lol)

Huh. I've always turned it off first. I read the instructions, but I guess I missed that part, lol. Common sense just told me that if the filter was running while I upended the lever, water might go gushing everywhere (as it is, I still prepare myself for a siphoning action when I lift the lever, lol)

I did it last night, but getting it to start again was annoying, it filled up from the syphoning in a few seconds, but then when i plugged it in it seemed as if there was a massive airlick, but if i pumped the quickstart thing water came out :crazy:

Don't know if it was just pumping around the filter housing or if this is normal,

andrew

i stop the water flow, then turn it off at the plug as it says in the instructions, never had any probs.

Yep, I second that..........no hassles so far............:)

It filled up but then just made a racket and sat there like there was an air lock, i shook it but notheing was being pumped out of the outlet :crazy:

Yes, that was likely an airlock. Fluvals always get them unless you let them fill themselves IME :nod: Empty the canister body of water, raise the outlet above the waterline in the tank, check that you inlet hose is fractionally longer than the outlet and then open the valves. Go make a cup of tea. Don't go too far, you'll need to close the aqua-stop as/if/when the thing leaks on filling, and then take it apart to change the seal... Switch it on again and when the impeller jams, kick it (start gentle and progressively kick harder) around the MSF badge to free the jam. now it's off, shake it to free the air. Be ready for an airlock to stop almost all flow though :nod:

All the best
Rabbut

when i had a fluval 405 i used to use the prime untill all bubbles were released then start the filter

Most reactions

Back