Fluval 304 Difficulties

Terrorbyte

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've had a Fluval 304 canister filter for just over a year now, and whenever I clean the d@mn thing or the water accidentally drains out of the intake tube, it causes the Fluval to lose its "prime" and it's a real pain in the @ss to get it going again. Basically, I have to pump the hand pump (suction cup on a stick) like a maniac for 10-20 minutes straight just to get water flowing at the normal rate again. It's a huge hassle no matter how you slice it. I don't remember the fluval pulling this crap when it was new. At any rate, sometimes when I'm manually pumping the thing to get the water flowing, the bottom strainer actually pops off and the plastic white ball comes floating to the top of the water. In fact, I think that d@mn plastic ball is the source of all the problems.

Am I doing something wrong here? Have others experienced this issue, and were various parts in need of replacement?

Long lives are hardly Fluvals specialty and that pump primer sucks. You'd save your self a lot of trouble and time of you just give a good suck on the exhaust hose to get it primed. All it does is bring water up the intake and down into the filter. Then gravity takes over and the water will keep flowing until the canister is full of water, so you don't need to worry about sucking up any fishy water by accident - as soon as you hear the water pouring in you can stop.

Long lives are hardly Fluvals specialty and that pump primer sucks. You'd save your self a lot of trouble and time of you just give a good suck on the exhaust hose to get it primed. All it does is bring water up the intake and down into the filter. Then gravity takes over and the water will keep flowing until the canister is full of water, so you don't need to worry about sucking up any fishy water by accident - as soon as you hear the water pouring in you can stop.
Agreed..I use the Fluvals but the self primer sucks literally!

Agreed..I use the Fluvals but the self primer sucks literally!

I guess I can use my shop vac and stick the end of the vacuum hose into the output valve to get things going from here on out. The Fluval pumping/priming mechanism is pretty chinsy so I'm not surprised by the responses. Other than the priming mechanism, I've been completely satisfied with the fluval and its performance.

Do Eheims and other canister filters have this same problem, or is the design that much better?

Do Eheims and other canister filters have this same problem, or is the design that much better?
For the most part Eheims pros are that much better, but Fluvals are still worth the price.

Yup, as everyone else suggests, put your :* (lips) over the exit pipe and suck, suck and suck.

Thats the only way I can get mine going.

Has anyone ever had trapped air in there's?. You know when you see the filter blowing air bubbles out in to the tank water.

I had the same problem and talked to a guy at my LFS who told me to fill up the canister right to the top of the inlet where the hoses go in first, then attach the hoses and prime it a few times.
Worked like a charm, I dunno, maybe try that approach?

If you've got air stuck in there, just shake it!(The filter).
Usually works.

Most reactions

Back