Fliter size on 160l tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fisbguy1

Reaction score
Hi,

Just quick question really I have a fluval 107 and was looking to buy a 307 to run on 160l tank good amount of stocking

Or should I go with 107 and 207

Already got the 107 going to add spray bar and have that filter on sponge and filter floss for regular changes

I believe in overkill. I have tanks with 3 different filters on them. If the fish you have aren't getting caught in swirls from the filters, you can't have too much. That can be a point of controversy, as there are old time fishkeepers who will say no filter is necessary. But you have a highly stocked tank and would probably be saving your money if you hadn't identified a need for an upgrade.

A 307 will run 1100 litres per hour empty. Add the needed media and it comes down significantly. Ten times flow through per hour is a fair amount.

Thanks I thought more was better I will go with the 307 paired with the 107

I also over filter my tanks, & stock heavily... I prefer to use 2 filters, so if one goes down, or I want to clean one, the other is running, also that gives me 2 inlets, & 2 outlets, & spreads the flow around a little... I typically put one on each end of the tank... last night, I had a hob, lose suction for some reason... it may have been that way, all day, while I was at work, but the filter on the other side of the tank was still running strong all day... sometimes the impellers get a hitch & quit, I used the stoppage, as a good time to clean that filter, & it started up normally, after I cleaned it...

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What sort of fishes are in the tank?
If you have fish from slow moving water, then the smaller filter is fine.
If you have fish from fast moving water, then the bigger filter is better.

120,cm by 30cm by 18" have already cardinals
Danios
Rummy nose tetras
Pleco
Loaches
Cory's
Gourmais

Will be adding a few fish

Cardinal tetras, rummynose tetras and gouramis come from calm slow moving water.

Corydoras and plecos come from calmish water but do move into faster moving water sometimes, normally to get from place to place.

Danios and loaches come from faster moving water.

Maybe get the smaller filter and put a small powerhead/ filter in the tank and have it on a timer so it comes on for an hour several times a day but is off the rest of the time. The fish that like current can swim about in it during that time and the water will be calmer for the rest of the time.

Most reactions

Back