Flare Flare Flare Flare Flare

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Miss Wiggle

Practically perfect in every way
Reaction score
well that's not quite true, he's not at it 24/7 but my little dude's quite often flaring at nothing, not always getting his cheeks out, just his fins, but he's doing it quite a lot. Is it anything to be concerned about?

He's in a 7.5g tank by himself, with a nice slow current from the trickle filter, it's well planted so he's plenty of cover, he's not showing any signs of illness or disease, is eating fine and is a very active little chap.

Why is he flaring so much? and is it likely to be a problem?

Is there anyway he is seeing his reflection somewhere and that is what he is flaring at? Mirrors can make them flare because they think another betta is nearby. I would imagine the only things to be concerned with is the betta tiring himself out, or possibly damaging his beautiful fins by flaring them too much. I have read some flaring is good exercise for them, but too much is well....too much :/ . Check out the surroundings around the tank to see if he is catching his reflection.

I wouldn't worry about it too much yet. My sister's betta will flare just because she turns the lighs on. Actually, he'll flare at anything (he especially likes to flare at chicken wings xD). Erm, yeah. Anyway, he should get used to seeing whatever he's flaring at and calm down. Give him a few days :D

I don't think he's seeing his reflection in anything, there's two mirror's in his line of sight, but they're both about 4 metre's away, and there's another betta in a tank much closer to one of the mirrors and he doesn't do it so I don't think that's it. I have only had him a few days, hopefully he's just getting used to his surroundings and he'll calm down soon. Just don't want him to tire himself out or get stressed and then poorly through doing it too much.

yeah from what i know a little is good exercise for them, something like 15mins per day, but he's doing it much more than that so I've not been putting the mirror up to flare him at all the last few days.

Well I'll just keep an eye on him and I'll post back if he seems to be getting poorly or doesn't calm down. :)

Thanks

Oh bless him, I never noticed him do that here. Maybe his hormones have kicked in, you know men need to show they are macho to everyone :lol:

Hopefully he'll settle down soon :D

when i very first got mine, he did the exact same.

At first i thought, "Wow I got a tough one"

But when it continued into three days i panicked a little.
About a week and 1/2 has passed, and he's calmed. Still extreemly hyper, no matter what tank he is it.

Oh bless him, I never noticed him do that here. Maybe his hormones have kicked in, you know men need to show they are macho to everyone :lol:

Hopefully he'll settle down soon :D

yup, will have to see if he does it more when Ian's around, maybe he's intimidated by him being about 40 billion times his size. Or maybe he just loves me and is showing off!! ha ha

actually he is seeming to calm down. Last night he was doing it a lot less than before. :) just settling in I reckon.

Most reactions

Back