Fishless Cycle - Ammonia Not Going Down

chrisjd

Reaction score
Hello All

I am currently in day 13 of a fishless cycle. I’ve seen nitrite rise to 5 and back to 1 but my ammonia refuses to drop below 1.

I started the cycle by adding fish food and got ammonia up to 0.5 where it pretty much stayed (I would have liked to get it higher but adding more fish food didn’t seem to help). My nitrite started rising soon after and got up to between 2 and 5. I got sick of the inaccuracy of the fish food method and the bits floating around my tank so I got some bottled ammonia on Monday and got the levels up to 2ppm. The next day ammonia was at 1 but nitrite had shot to 5, the next day nitrite fell to 2 and then 1 but ammonia has stayed at 1.

I have been adding JBL denitrol bacteria in a bottle to get things going faster which could possibly explain why the nitrite was handled quickly but doesn’t explain why the ammonia is staying high. I also had to clean the filter on Tuesday as it had bits on it so I am worried I may have somehow killed the ammonia eating bacteria without harming the nitrite eating ones.

I also have live plants (slow growing, low light ones since I only have the light the tank came with), snails that came with the live plants and what I think is brown algae, which the snails are eating. So perhaps the snails and the parts of the plants that died are contributing to the ammonia and the plants and algae are using up the nitrite?

I’ve done quite a bit of research on fishless cycling but not come across anything about nitrites going down but ammonia staying up. So is anyone able to help me understand might be going on?

Other relevant facts:
My tanks size is 95L
My PH started as 7.6 but has gone up to 8.6
According to my test kit the nitrate level in my tank is 40ppm, however the nitrate in my tap water is 80ppm! I don't think I believe these results. I looked up the water companies water quality report which says the nitrate in my tapwater should be around 30ppm
I’ve been dechlorinating my water with JBL biotopol and have often accidentally been using too much (5-10x amount).
I have JBL Phosex in my filter after my LFS suggested my phosphate level was too high.
A am using the API testmaster kit to test my levels.

That sounds really strange, and makes no sense at all. If there are A-bacs there, they don't stop munching the ammonia just because it gets down to a certain level.

I have heard many people saying that their ammonia would stay at 0.25ppm, and it's turned out that the API ammonia test looks a sightly different colour under artificial light compared to under natural light (natural light gives a 0ppm result). You could try viewing your test result under natural light, and see if it looks different then.

I seem to be having the same issue. I had my ammonia up to about 3ppm. Nitrites shot through the roof to 8+ppm and are now down to about 0.5ppm but my ammonia is still 1ppm. I added some more ammonia up to about 3ppm again and its dropped back to about 1-2ppm but nitrites are still only very low. :(

I seem to be having the same issue. I had my ammonia up to about 3ppm. Nitrites shot through the roof to 8+ppm and are now down to about 0.5ppm but my ammonia is still 1ppm. I added some more ammonia up to about 3ppm again and its dropped back to about 1-2ppm but nitrites are still only very low. :(

What happens if you miss an ammonia dose? Does the level stay at 1ppm (ie 48 hours after the dose)?

Yea I have left it for around 3-4 days and it didnt move at all. This was just from the first dose. I originally dosed up to 4ppm and only dosed again the other day to try and kick it into life.

That sounds really strange, and makes no sense at all. If there are A-bacs there, they don't stop munching the ammonia just because it gets down to a certain level.

I have heard many people saying that their ammonia would stay at 0.25ppm, and it's turned out that the API ammonia test looks a sightly different colour under artificial light compared to under natural light (natural light gives a 0ppm result). You could try viewing your test result under natural light, and see if it looks different then.

Ok thanks, I'll try looking at it in different light but it is definitely still greener than it was before I added the Ammonia. I think I'll add some more ammonia tonight as well, since I haven't added any since Monday, and see if it goes down at all over the weekend.

I had exactly this problem! It wasn't until I filled one tube with plain fresh H20 and another with tank water and compared them that I realised I was getting a proper zero reading, and under artificial light it definitely looked different from daylight.

Also I noticed that not all color charts are exactly the same. For instance I have the API master kit and a separate ammonia only liquid test from the same manufacture API. If you compare the two color charts you see that the shades of color don't necessarily match, at least mine don't. On the Master kit I can get obvious yellow reading of zero but on the othe test it will always have a tinge of green. At least mine does. Has anybody else noticed this?

Most reactions

Back