Fishless Cycle Almost Complete

Aquaman2009

Reaction score
Hi all

So my fishless cycle is almost complete so I can hardly wait to stock up the tank, I've been advised to go for either Tetra Neons or Barbs to start off (maybe 6-10 of either of these species and then wait a couple of weeks to add more) but would it be a good idea to add 6 of both? Any thoughts/opinions would be very much appreciated. Also, if anyone has a good idea of an alternative to either of these to start off with I'll certainly take it on board!

Cheers

I'd advise you NOT to get neons as a starter fish.

Neons are very sensitive to changing water conditions which are usually present in newly established tanks. Neons are recommended to be only put in tanks over 6 months old

Andy

Have a look at Rasbora Hengeli (Copper/Glowlight Harlequins)- they are fun hardy shoaling fish. Hengeli

I'd advise you NOT to get neons as a starter fish.

Neons are very sensitive to changing water conditions which are usually present in newly established tanks. Neons are recommended to be only put in tanks over 6 months old

Andy

sorry ta butt in!!

:eek: i really want neon tetras they look relly pretty! havent even started cycling yet nor set up the tank, so looks like will have to wait ages yet! also teh zebra danios are supposed to be good starters right? I think I saw some in the pet shop aren't they quite big compared to the neon tetras? are the 2 therefore compatible??

thanks

I didnt mean to seem rude lol was just pointing out that neons shouldnt be put in new tanks :rolleyes:

Zebra danios make a good starter fish as they are hardy, although I wouldn't recommend using them for cycling, you should do a fishless cycle first.

Also the size of the tank depends on if you could have danios because although they only grow to around 2" they are very active fish and require a decent amount of swimming space, they are also a fin nipper.

Andy

I didnt mean to seem rude lol was just pointing out that neons shouldnt be put in new tanks :rolleyes:

Zebra danios make a good starter fish as they are hardy, although I wouldn't recommend using them for cycling, you should do a fishless cycle first.

Also the size of the tank depends on if you could have danios because although they only grow to around 2" they are very active fish and require a decent amount of swimming space, they are also a fin nipper.

Andy

no worries i never took it in a rude way at all, just saying they are pretty fish, i never knew they were super sensitive, and will wait for tank to mature anyway, am here to learn form everyones advice :good:
am definitely doing the fishless cycling though, dont want to harm any fishies, and want to get it all set up right hopefully :)
mayb those fish I saw weren't zebra danios then, coz they were bigger than 2 inches, will read up on stocking as my tanks only 63litres, but early days yet stil setting up
thanks though, and i honestly didnt mean my response in a negative way to you

Yes, there are at least two general types of danios that are both quite commonly seen at the LFS. There is the "giant danio," which is a much bigger fish than the regular danios and is suitable for larger tanks (since you'll still want a shoal) with larger fish. The giant danios have stripes like the smaller zebra danio but you see the blue and yellow tints more than with the littler ones and also the stripes break in to dots a bit more.

The smaller danios, usually an inch or so in the store and mostly grow to an inch and a half I guess, are now seen in a number of variations. They started out usually only available as the zebra danio with dark horizontal zebra stripes. I believe the first variation about was the leopard danio and this is still the second most common. I believe these small danios were the starter fish for the ones you see now with bright glowlight colors bred in.

Danios of all types are quite hardy and have certainly been used a lot for cycling, before knowledge of fishless cycling was more widely available. They, like rasboras, are among the very best fish for an initial stocking after a fishless cycle.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back