Fish you just dont expect to see in your LFS

Tiber

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was in my LFS yesterday picking up a pair of Electric Blue Rams. I wasn't going to buy anything else, but I do like to have a nosey and much to my suprise in a tank above the cat fish... was an Arowana for sale. I asked the owner and he said it wasn't a returned fish or anything like that.

Maybe I just need to get out more, but I was shocked to just stumble into one of these for sale in a small town fish store.

Absolutely amazing fish which I would love to go out and buy, but I never will because I don't own a tank the size of a small swimming pool. I have seen these fish on YouTube, but certainly never expected to see one in a local store

Made me wonder what other exotic fish are less hard to stumble across than you might think?

Fish you just dont expect to see in your LFS​

Healthy ones :)
just kidding.

Pseudomugils, killifish, unusual cichlids, Corydoras barbatus

Maybe I'm just living under a rock and every small UK town is full of Arowanas lol

I rarely see any killies, West African fish or good healthy fish I would want to buy!

Last year I saw some sheep pacu (achnodon normani) mislabeled as tiger silver dollars at one of my local LFS. They were asking $80 USD for them. I showed them on my phone what they actually had, and when I came back a week later, the price had almost doubled to $140 USD each.

:rofl: :/

Maybe I'm just living under a rock and every small UK town is full of Arowanas lol
Well, in our country, arowanas are offered at a serious number of stores. And in multiple sizes.

Fish you just dont expect to see in your LFS​

Wild livebearers species. Just occasionally, an lfs will have a couple of specimens swimming around. And if so, most of the time such fish will come from a private breeder.

There was a HUGE knife fish at our local fish store... I forget the exact species but I know it was a knife fish of at LEAST 20 inches long. Our LFS also regularly gets arowanas.

The Small, family owned LFS has had Archerfish, Scats and Mono Argentus. It is always fun to look as she seems to have some very interesting fish on a semi regular basis. The bulk of my collection has come from her and she buys the fry I have for a good price. Plus, she is very knowledgable and fun to speak with. It lets me get the "Fish Geek" out without tormenting my loved ones with my hobby too much.

Most reactions

Back