Fish tank smell?

joeyr188

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello, my parents commented that my tanks have a wet plant smell to them which I was unaware of I’ve been doing some research on what it could be but I’m clueless because I do not have any dead fish in my tanks there is fish poop no excessive amount the only other thing I could think of it something with my floaters or something with my filiter maybe I also don’t use a lid could that maybe be why?

Hello, my parents commented that my tanks have a wet plant smell to them which I was unaware of I’ve been doing some research on what it could be but I’m clueless because I do not have any dead fish in my tanks there is fish poop no excessive amount the only other thing I could think of it something with my floaters or something with my filiter maybe I also don’t use a lid could that maybe be why?
Also parameters
nitrate - 10-20
Nitrite - 0
ammonia - 0 or 0.25 can’t tell pretty sure 0 though

Any plants or algae? Moss has an earthy smell to it. Algae may have a smell too depending on the species.

Could be that. Try scrubbing off some of the algae and smelling it, that would confirm the cause. You can smell the plants as well. If there’s a lot of algae or trapped debris in the filter that could also put off a smell. You could gently rinse off the filter cartridge in the discarded tank water next water change. DONT RINSE IN TAP WATER. You don’t want to kill any beneficial bacteria.

well floaters can stink...specially if you have an open top...
all the stuff floating around in the tank will catch and some of them will die off creating a rotting smell mixed with plants smell
some people like it..some don't...if you don't want the smell...get rid of the floating plants

What
well floaters can stink...specially if you have an open top...
all the stuff floating around in the tank will catch and some of them will die off creating a rotting smell mixed with plants smell
some people like it..some don't...if you don't want the smell...get rid of the floating plants
What if I get a lid For the tank?

you don't need a lid...you need a door lock
tell your parents to stay away from your tanks and this way they won't be bothered by them xD
but yeah...a lid will help a bit but as filtration moves water/oxygen around..the smell will still be there...maybe a bit less noticeable

Most reactions

Back