Fish tank questions

P&BtheBetta

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a betta in a 10 gallon, that is split in half. There's no fish on the other side anymore but previously, Pearl (that lived on that side of the tank) had dropsy.

I want to give him more room to swim, so is it okay to disassemble the barrier? Is there a chance that Blueberry could catch dropsy?

Additionally, in the future, I'd like to change the setup to a more natural setup.

-What safe (cheap) driftwoods are there?
-Is sand substrate good for live plants?
-I don't have a tank light, are there any plants that could actually grow? (if I need one, where can I get one?)
-If I took out the silk plants in the tank, would it mess up my cycle and get rid of beneficial bacteria?

Thanks.

Have you used any medication for the fish( the one that passed away) How long have you had your bettas in the tank and was it fully cycled when you put them in your tank?

There may be many causes for dropsy. I heard some people say that its a symptom. Do you know what caused the dropsy? Check your water parameters closely. And change your water more often!

it should not i think
dropsy is a internal bacteria infection, as long as the betta has a strong immune it wont
i had a tank of guppies and one had dropsy, i treated her while the others swam around and with her and had fun.

Have you used any medication for the fish( the one that passed away) How long have you had your bettas in the tank and was it fully cycled when you put them in your tank?

There may be many causes for dropsy. I heard some people say that its a symptom. Do you know what caused the dropsy? Check your water parameters closely. And change your water more often!

I tried using Epsom salt baths but it just didn't work.
I've had this tank for quite a long time so it is cycled and I'm not sure what caused dropsy...

I've had this tank for quite a long time so it is cycled and I'm not sure what caused dropsy...
probably it ate some dirty stuff and got infected

I want to give him more room to swim, so is it okay to disassemble the barrier? Is there a chance that Blueberry could catch dropsy?
in theory no, since dropsy is an internal disease but if you are worried about the infection spreading in some way then do a chlorine bath (only do this if your barrier doesn't allow water through) you just add a tablespoon of chlorine and let It sit for 30 minutes after that do a 100% water change and use 3 times the amount of conditioner you would normally use.
-What safe (cheap) driftwoods are there?
I really like manzanita and spider wood, they are quite cheap where I live.
-Is sand substrate good for live plants?
yes and no, it allows the plants to set roots quite nicely but it doesn't give them any nutrients, for this, you have 3 options:
1. only use stem plants and epiphytes: (stem plants get their nutrients from the water column and the substrate as such they won't suffer a lack of nutrients even if planted in plain sand, and epiphytes don't go planted in the substrate they go attached to wood and stone (if you do plant them they will rot) as such they also take their nutrients from the water column
2. you can use root tabs: just put one at the base of a plant and it will give it nutrients for a whole year (use slow-release ones)
3. (and my favourite) do a dirted tank: you first put some topsoil or potting mixture on your tank and then on top of that you put your decorative sand, this will give your plants nutrients for up to 10 years and will also give them carbon to build their new leaves, the only problem is that you need a substrate aerator (like Malaysian trumpet snails) because otherwise you are gonna get methane bubbles that will not damage your plants or aquarium but will make your substrate look bulged and loose, which can be a bad look sometimes, this is because as the soil decomposes in a low oxygen underwater acidic environment it releases this gases but they can't escape without help (it sometimes can escape so don't get scared if you see bubbles coming from your dirted tank) this is actually what happens in peat swamps so if your tank lasted like this a few hundred years you would get peat, and as it is covered by another substrate (sand) if given thousands or millions of years it would become coal, or petroleum.
-I don't have a tank light, are there any plants that could actually grow? (if I need one, where can I get one?
there are some lowlight plants for sure but an aquarium light is still recommended, look in Amazon, eBay, or your LFS for some plant growing aquarium lights.
-If I took out the silk plants in the tank, would it mess up my cycle and get rid of beneficial bacteria?
yes, it would take out some beneficial bacteria, but it wouldn't get rid of all of them since most live on your substrate.
and filter media, as such no, it wouldn't mess up your cycle

hope this helps

Last edited:
Im so sorry that your fish had dropsy😢
Well, if your other fish are healthy, and you didn’t use medication except for epsom salt baths, do a big water change and a thorough cleaning! If your betta is healthy they will most like be okay!

in theory no, since dropsy is an internal disease but if you are worried about the infection spreading in some way then do a chlorine bath (only do this if your barrier doesn't allow water through) you just add a tablespoon of chlorine and let It sit for 30 minutes after that do a 100% water change and use 3 times the amount of conditioner you would normally use.

I really like manzanita and spider wood, they are quite cheap where I live.

yes and no, it allows the plants to set roots quite nicely but it doesn't give them any nutrients, for this, you have 3 options:
1. only use stem plants and epiphytes: (stem plants get their nutrients from the water column and the substrate as such they won't suffer a lack of nutrients even if planted in plain sand, and epiphytes don't go planted in the substrate they go attached to wood and stone (if you do plant them they will rot) as such they also take their nutrients from the water column
2. you can use root tabs: just put one at the base of a plant and it will give it nutrients for a whole year (use slow-release ones)
3. (and my favourite) do a dirted tank: you first put some topsoil or potting mixture on your tank and then on top of that you put your decorative sand, this will give your plants nutrients for up to 10 years and will also give them carbon to build their new leaves, the only problem is that you need a substrate aerator (like Malaysian trumpet snails) because otherwise you are gonna get methane bubbles that will not damage your plants or aquarium but will make your substrate look bulged and loose, which can be a bad look sometimes, this is because as the soil decomposes in a low oxygen underwater acidic environment it releases this gases but they can't escape without help (it sometimes can escape so don't get scared if you see bubbles coming from your dirted tank) this is actually what happens in peat swamps so if your tank lasted like this a few hundred years you would get peat, and as it is covered by another substrate (sand) if given thousands or millions of years it would become coal, or petroleum.

there are some lowlight plants for sure but an aquarium light is still recommended, look in Amazon, eBay, or your LFS for some plant growing aquarium lights.

yes, it would take out some beneficial bacteria, but it wouldn't get rid of all of them since most live on your substrate.
and filter media, as such no, it wouldn't mess up your cycle

hope this helps
what is the plant that spider wood comes from?
also manzanitas are native to my area and it is free!
it killed some fish last time put some in because i forgot to boil :0

what is the plant that spider wood comes from?
also manzanitas are native to my area and it is free!
it killed some fish last time put some in because i forgot to boil :0
spider wood comes from the roots of certain plants like azaleas.
and now we all know to boil our free wood before using.

spider wood comes from the roots of certain plants like azaleas.
and now we all know to boil our free wood before using.
it was fresh from the tree lol

ooh azaleas are native to here too, but they dont die off suddenly like manzanitas (they die off in chunks so i can harvest the dead chunk while also getting FREE WOOD
are neriums related to azaleas? also are manzanitas related?

it was fresh from the tree lol

ooh azaleas are native to here too, but they dont die off suddenly like manzanitas (they die off in chunks so i can harvest the dead chunk while also getting FREE WOOD
are neriums related to azaleas? also are manzanitas related?
Nerium arent related to azaleas, also don't use them since they are super toxic (no Bueno!)
manzanitas and azaleas are in fact related since both are from the family Ericaceae but azaleas are Rhododendrons while manzanitas are Arctostaphylos, one could assume then that most trees from the Ericaceae family would be aquarium safe (after curing and boiling them, of course, lol) but maybe we should do more research before doing said assumption, also I might have to do a little extra research since now that I think of it there is a native tree species that looks similar to manzanita shrubs let's hope it is an Arctostaphylos because you can bet I want that free wood as well!

edit: yeah baby there are in fact 3 Arctostaphylos species native to my area! free wood here I come.

Most reactions

Back