Fish stuck in a pipe and now swimming funny, Will he heal or will he succumb to his injuries?

Drynalove

Reaction score
Came home from a night out and went to feed my fish, to find one stuck in a ornamental pipe.
Unfortunately, I had to pry him out of there.
He seemed ok once released, but 24hrs later he is at the bottom of the tank and occasionally comes to the surface.
At the bottom of the tank, he seems to hold himself still but when he attempts to go to the surface he swims a bit strange, his buoyancy is slightly affected also.
I do have a hospital tank, but am concerned with disrupting his normal habitat and ecosystem as this has failed me in the past.
He is lethargic, and staying to himself.
I am curious if anyone else had a similar scenario and the fish was behaving the same and bounced back,if so, how long did that process take and what methods did you implement to result in such a success.
I am keeping the light dimmed for now, added stress guard, added trace minerals and monitoring for now.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231230-004936-923.png
    Screenshot_20231230-004936-923.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20231230_004725805.jpg
    IMG_20231230_004725805.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 32
Sorry for what happened to your fish :(

It is very difficult to say how it is going to develop. But if the fish is currently with tank mates that are leaving him alone so he can rest and he doesn't show any signs of secondary ailment or infections. Continues to eat. I would tend to leave him alone too.

If his condition deteriorates too much I would think he suffered bad internal damages and might not recover.

Give him a couple of days, he could also feel a little stiff for a while if he is suffering from muscle injuries.

If his buoyancy continue to aggravate he may have damaged his swim bladder or kidneys and fluids have developed inside.

In all cases, it's not very good news and his chances of recovering depends on how much he will improve or decline in the next few days.

You can only hope for the best. I think a little aquarium salt could help his breathing, slime coat, preventing bacteria or fungus to develop and also provide a small amount of electrolytes.

Sorry for what happened to your fish :(

It is very difficult to say how it is going to develop. But if the fish is currently with tank mates that are leaving him alone so he can rest and he doesn't show any signs of secondary ailment or infections. Continues to eat. I would tend to leave him alone too.

If his condition deteriorates too much I would think he suffered bad internal damages and might not recover.

Give him a couple of days, he could also feel a little stiff for a while if he is suffering from muscle injuries.

If his buoyancy continue to aggravate he may have damaged his swim bladder or kidneys and fluids have developed inside.

In all cases, it's not very good news and his chances of recovering depends on how much he will improve or decline in the next few days.

You can only hope for the best. I think a little aquarium salt could help his breathing, slime coat, preventing bacteria or fungus to develop and also provide a small amount of electrolytes.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
I just don't understand how this could happen, but I understand that it can happen.
I've been in the fish hobby for a little over two and a half years, the fatalities that I've had were from a donated or adopted old fish that had passed most likely due to old age or a fish that was already found dead from being stuck.
In the past, I have made the attempt to quarantine and medicate but unfortunately there wasn't any success. I do believe this has a lot to do with disrupting the fishes normal habitat/ecosystem/normal water parameters by putting them in a stripped clean tank.
In my opinion, I'd assume the fish is already dealing with enough when they are suffering from an injury or an infection for that matter to then add additional stress by changing their environment, is also concerning to me.
I have found somebody else on another fish forum that accidentally stepped on their fish during a water change (fish jumped out)the fish took a 10-day recovery but survived. A very promising recovery. I'm just going to wait it out, the fish is not being bullied. It's day 3, he doesn't seem to be getting worse but not better.

I hope he gets better...

I discarded more than one piece of decor over the years because of that problem...

Sometime. Silly fish forgets that his head is attached to a body and think, if the head pass the rest will...

I hope he gets better...

I discarded more than one piece of decor over the years because of that problem...

Sometime. Silly fish forgets that his head is attached to a body and think, if the head pass the rest will...
Yes it's about time I'd do the same.
However, I love the hiding places, I feel like they can provide the fish with some sense of security. However, when It comes to a fish getting stuck in it , I absolutely am removing them.
An update , yesterday the fish started eating again, and swimming better.
I am much more optimistic now.
Phew what a difference.
Thanks again for your support

Attachments

• IMG_20240101_220317065.jpg
    IMG_20240101_220317065.jpg
    299.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20240101_220245442.jpg
    IMG_20240101_220245442.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20240101_225524773.jpg
    IMG_20240101_225524773.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 14
That is very good news !!! He's wonderful 😍

I like to use hiding places made like "" instead of "o" So if someone gets stuck in there, Just lifting the decor a little bit is enough to free anyone that could be stuck in there.

This way most of the time they can plow the substrate to free themselves without help or even you noticing something happened.

Most reactions

Back