Fish Stores on Long Island, New York

sewfishy

Reaction score
I saw on another post that a couple of you guys are located on Long Island, NY.
I've been around to the local fish stores but so far I'm not impressed. Any suggestions as to some that you trust?

Would appreciate the help.

SewFishy :)

Aquarium Adventure
177 Glen Cove Rd.
Carle Place, NY 11514
(516) 294-9699

Website Link

Great store... higher prices than other LFS... the store is extremely clean and spacious, and they keep the fish in pristine/uncrowded tanks. :thumbs:

They also have a membership club, which entitles you to a discount on all fish and items. I think it's worth the membership fee if you are a serious hobbyist. Fortunately, I got a free membership because they offered it when they first opened.

The only reason I don't buy from there a lot is because they are 45-60 minutes away from me (in Manhattan)... and I don't want to stress the fish out because of a long highway ride.

Hi sewfishy :)

I live further out on Long Island, in Suffolk county. :D

My favorite lfs are Aqua Hut in Coram which is a fish only store. I'd recommend them 100%. This is not a fancy store, but they are large and have an excellent selection of healthy fish.

Down the road from them, in Patchogue, is Country Critters which is an independent pet store with an exceptional fish department.

I also shop at Magic Isle in Centereach, another independent pet shop with an excellent fish department.

If you ever want to come this way and check them out, PM me and I'll give you directions to them. If you'd like, I'll meet you for coffee and give you some of the young corys I raise, if you'd like them. :thumbs:

drobbins27 said:
:thumbs: That store looks AMAZING
It really is. My coworker told me about it and he sure wasn't joking about it's cleanliness and selection. I bought my 72G setup there when they had a sale in November/December.

Inchworm - I know it's not very close to you, but you should take a day and go there to compare it to your regular LFS. :thumbs:

Thanks everyone, I've been to Aquarium Adventure that is where I got my tank. They are impressive, but I found you must beware of who you talk to there and there prices are higher but I do frequent them to browse

I will definately check out your suggestions Inchworm. I'm never opposed to driving out on the island, and the cory's would be great I think they will get along with the fishies I currently have. Thanks I'll be in touch.

Sewfishy :fish:

sewfishy said:
Thanks everyone, I've been to Aquarium Adventure that is where I got my tank. They are impressive, but I found you must beware of who you talk to there and there prices are higher but I do frequent them to browse

I will definately check out your suggestions Inchworm. I'm never opposed to driving out on the island, and the cory's would be great I think they will get along with the fishies I currently have. Thanks I'll be in touch.

Sewfishy :fish:
I got my 75 gal at aquarium adventure! Nice huge store, but since the rent is so high so are the prices :lol:

But you can haggle for 40 or 50 dollars on high priced equipment or fish. (But yeah, 3 dollars A TETRA.. eesh :crazy: )

I didn't realize how many people here are near me! aqua hut is good but , kind of far for us , I like to go to magic Island Aquarium in centereach{ used to be in commack about 30 years ago , same guy } . Also like inchworm said Country Critters has a pretty good fish selection . The Billy B aquarium in huntington is a good shop , the same owner has been in the same place for over 35 years , so my dad says . There was a real good shop right near me in Smithtown but he closed down after over 20 years in business . Some of these places may not be very fancy , but stock a good supply of healthy fish and at least the owners Know what they are talking about .

:lol: It really is a small world :D

Dwarfs, where is Aqua Hut, further east past you or west more my way?

I will have to plot them all out on a map, and go fish store hunting one day. I'm want to get some bristlenose to help with my algae dilemma.

:cool: Thanks

SewFishy

sewfishy , Aqua Hut is in coram , near the intersection of route 112 and rout 25 { there is a home depot on the other side of the parking lot from A Hut} . that's pretty far east of us [ dwarfs is my son ] . You may be able to get the address by looking it up in the phonebook or on the computer . Don't call , nobody anwers the phone , you can send a fax , this is what they told me at the store . Don't ask me why they don't answer the phone , I don't know . It is a good shop , not fancy but well stocked.

Thanks Lucky62, It seems I will have to head EAST! :)
I ran across another thread that you both where posting to where you had mentioned dwarfs was your son. It's so nice that you have a shared interest. My boys are 6 and 8.5 I'm hoping this becomes a fun hobby for us as a family.

Thanks for your help,
SewFishy

sewfishy said:
:lol: It really is a small world :D

I will have to plot them all out on a map, and go fish store hunting one day. I'm want to get some bristlenose to help with my algae dilemma.

:cool: Thanks

SewFishy
That's what I call a fish run , a road rally fish run . We can't do more than 3 shops a day , what if we find a fish at the first store OMG . Petland is sometimes a good backup the kids don't care as long as they see fish it's also a good place to find oddballs , just gotta know what you are getting , I let the advice go in 1 ear and out the other , while :rolleyes: smiling and nodding :nod: . Let us know if you have a problem finding any of the places dwarfs mentioned .

sewfishy said:
I ran across another thread that you both where posting to where you had mentioned dwarfs was your son. It's so nice that you have a shared interest. My boys are 6 and 8.5 I'm hoping this becomes a fun hobby for us as a family.

Thanks for your help,
SewFishy
he's 12 , and has 2 little bros . everyone but momma has at least 1 tank[8 in all] , she has cats ..... :no: ......cats ....... :no: ...........cats , at least 1 of them has an interest in fish ...........so far just looking at them .

Most reactions

Back