Fish Selection Advice

Ozzy Ozborne

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been cycling my tank "with fish in" for 6 weeks now and all the water test readings are fine......the ammonia is appprox 0.05 though......??
Tests done with liquid test kits from Tetra.
I have the following fish:

2 Black Mollies
4 Platies
4 Guppies

I would like to extend the numbers with additional fish and would like some advice on what would be suitable.
My wife would like some Angel Fish.......... so any advice including these would be great.
Also when and what do I do about bottom feeders?

My tank is 180 Vision Juwell

Hi,

I have been cycling my tank "with fish in" for 6 weeks now and all the water test readings are fine......the ammonia is appprox 0.05 though......??
Tests done with liquid test kits from Tetra.
I have the following fish:

2 Black Mollies
4 Platies
4 Guppies

I would like to extend the numbers with additional fish and would like some advice on what would be suitable.
My wife would like some Angel Fish.......... so any advice including these would be great.
Also when and what do I do about bottom feeders?

My tank is 180 Vision Juwell

Get a male Neon Dwarf Gourami. I love those guys, so full of charcter. Only grow to about 6cm so they are not that big, but they look gorgeous in a tank and will get along well with the fish you alreay have.

Get a male Neon Dwarf Gourami. I love those guys, so full of charcter. Only grow to about 6cm so they are not that big, but they look gorgeous in a tank and will get along well with the fish you alreay have.

Only probelm with these is that there really crap at living lol. They can get fungal infections easily and drop dead, well mine did. In a new tank i wouldn't risk it.

Is the 0.05ppm ammonia a constant thing, if so i would wait for that to drop first.

andrew

Only probelm with these is that there really crap at living lol. They can get fungal infections easily and drop dead, well mine did. In a new tank i wouldn't risk it.

Is the 0.05ppm ammonia a constant thing, if so i would wait for that to drop first.

andrew

Thats odd, i only have 1 male been in my tank for about 3 months and always lively, flaring his fins and looking cool. No sign of desase or infections, fingers crossed he stays that way. Anyone else had bad experience with Neon Dwarfs ?

andrew

Thats odd, i only have 1 male been in my tank for about 3 months and always lively, flaring his fins and looking cool. No sign of desase or infections, fingers crossed he stays that way. Anyone else had bad experience with Neon Dwarfs ?

I had one male and 3 females at one point then a female died, followed by the male and the other 2 girls. Did some research then and dwarf gauramis are crap lol, think its due to inbreeding for colour, you might be lucky with yours

andrew

Hi Ozzy Ozborne :)

It would be good to look for some fish for the bottom as well as the top of the tank. A school of corys is an excellent choice, but bristlenose plecos are becoming more and more popular.

The full sized gouramis, either Trichogaster trichopterus or Trichogaster leeri are not as inbred as the smaller species, and would be a nice choice if you change your mind about getting the angels. The two fish don't do to well together.

Hi

I think a nice shoal of Dwarf Neon Rainbow fish (Melanotaenia praecox) are beautiful :nod: Very peaceful too :good:

Most reactions

Back