Fish + Plant Options For A 54l Juwel Rekord 60

spooks

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am just cycling my tank at the moment and I am researching what fish and also what plants that I am going to put into the tank. How many fish do you think is acceptable for this size of tank and what sort of plants do you think I should get bear in mind the lighting will just be a standard tropical light tube ( I replaced the original standard bulb in the tank).

Fish wise I was considering getting a shoal of about 12 Cardinal Tetra's, some form of plec that I can transfer out of my tank when it gets to big for the tank and maybe a couple of other small fish. I was also considering getting some pre soaked bog wood that I can attach the said plants to, will if effect the ph level?

Ideas and advice greatly appreciated.

Hi all,

I am just cycling my tank at the moment and I am researching what fish and also what plants that I am going to put into the tank. How many fish do you think is acceptable for this size of tank and what sort of plants do you think I should get bear in mind the lighting will just be a standard tropical light tube ( I replaced the original standard bulb in the tank).

Fish wise I was considering getting a shoal of about 12 Cardinal Tetra's, some form of plec that I can transfer out of my tank when it gets to big for the tank and maybe a couple of other small fish. I was also considering getting some pre soaked bog wood that I can attach the said plants to, will if effect the ph level?

My tank is the same width and length as yours, i have a few extra cm in height.

1st off - i wouldnt put the plec in unless you defo know you can rehome him later. How about a few Cory? and/or a few Otto, they are great.

2nd - Pretty much any of the small tetra should be fine for your tank. So Neon, Glowlight etc.

3rd - Get the Juwel reflector that clips on to your light, its only about £5-7 and well worth it.

4th - Make sure you soak the bog wood in hot water for a few days (change the water reg. so more of the tannin can leech out).

5th - If you want plants growing on bog wood then i would highly recommend Anubias barteri var. nana aka Tropica 101. Also some Java fern 'mircosorum pteropus', Tropica 008.

6th - I made the mistake of keeping Dwarf Gourami in my tank, IMO they are too big for a tank this size if you plan on keeping lots of Tetra.

7th - You might wanna get a small air pump and an air stone for the tank as i feel the Juwel tanks dont really allow enough air diffusion into the water.

Anyway, i'm no expert, but i hope this helps you a little,

Juwelfan

Hi all,

My tank is the same width and length as yours, i have a few extra cm in height.

1st off - i wouldnt put the plec in unless you defo know you can rehome him later. How about a few Cory? and/or a few Otto, they are great.

2nd - Pretty much any of the small tetra should be fine for your tank. So Neon, Glowlight etc.

3rd - Get the Juwel reflector that clips on to your light, its only about £5-7 and well worth it.

4th - Make sure you soak the bog wood in hot water for a few days (change the water reg. so more of the tannin can leech out).

5th - If you want plants growing on bog wood then i would highly recommend Anubias barteri var. nana aka Tropica 101. Also some Java fern 'mircosorum pteropus', Tropica 008.

6th - I made the mistake of keeping Dwarf Gourami in my tank, IMO they are too big for a tank this size if you plan on keeping lots of Tetra.

7th - You might wanna get a small air pump and an air stone for the tank as i feel the Juwel tanks dont really allow enough air diffusion into the water.

Anyway, i'm no expert, but i hope this helps you a little,

Juwelfan

I probably will invest in an air pump + air stone, I used to have one but I lost it! With regard to the Juwel refectlor, do you know which one I need and which bits I need to go with it. I am looking on http://www.aquariumsuperstore.co.uk/mall/juwelrefelctors.asp

Anyone got any suggestions on other nice looking fish to get with my Cardinals? I wouldn't mind an algae eater of some form (not to keen on cory's) as well. The bogwood I am getting will already have been in a fish tank when I buy it so no need to soak it before putting it in my tank.

Cheers

Its the 15W reflector, its the length of it thats important.

Otto are great algae eaters.

If you like the look of Cardinals and want know bright colours then i cant think of any other tetra that bright, apart from Neon.
Male Guppy are very brightly coloured and they are also small. But i'm not sure about keeping them with Tetra.

Its the 15W reflector, its the length of it thats important.

Otto are great algae eaters.

If you like the look of Cardinals and want know bright colours then i cant think of any other tetra that bright, apart from Neon.
Male Guppy are very brightly coloured and they are also small. But i'm not sure about keeping them with Tetra.

Cool thanks for your help, I have had some otto's before so I will pick another couple of them up to help clean up the tank. I'm not necessarily looking for brightly coloured fish, just nice ones ;) Maybe a bolivian ram or german ram?

I would like to add that if you get the juwel reflectors.....please make sure the clips that hold them are plastic. We made the mistake of changing all our plastic ones to metal(as they are more pliable) only to discover that they rust and pollute the water. Very bad,if you consider that juwel freely sell these as separate parts!!!HTH.

Most reactions

Back