Fish not looking good

Fishies4Ever

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a black neon tetra that isn’t looking very good. He is kind of swimming up but can’t super well. I have a 29 gallon tank that I haven’t filled yet that I was thinking I could fill and put 3 fish in to start cycling and was thinking maybe my suck fish could go in because I wonder if it’s my water quality because I haven’t been doing water changes recently because I’ve been busy. Any help would be great!!!! I have another post in planted aquariums and I’m looking for advice for that too and it might help to explain my situation better.

If you're too busy to do water changes for one tank, how do you expect to find time to do water changes for 2 tanks? Maybe just concentrate on improving the water quality with the tank you have up and running already 🤪
image.jpeg.jpg

If you're too busy to do water changes for one tank, how do you expect to find time to do water changes for 2 tanks? Maybe just concentrate on improving the water quality with the tank you have up and running already 🤪View attachment 330583
I just cleaned the 10 gallon and the water is pretty murky I am just going to have the 1 tank I am getting rid of the 10 gallon

I was just looking at him more I did a 50% water change and the water is clearing up and I noticed a white patch on the fish. Is it possible for a black neon tetra to get neon tetra disease?

Most fish can get NTD, unfortunately, even ones that aren't tetras. (Cardinals, however, seem to be the only things that can't get it... go figure). Can you show us a picture? As far as I know, other things can cause white patches too. If it's fluffy, it'll be fungal, however could be other things too. Is there anywhere else you can qt it? (in the 10gal, maybe? Sorry, I don't know anything about your tanks, so can't really give advice.)

Good luck!
PPJ

Most fish can get NTD, unfortunately, even ones that aren't tetras. (Cardinals, however, seem to be the only things that can't get it... go figure). Can you show us a picture? As far as I know, other things can cause white patches too. If it's fluffy, it'll be fungal, however could be other things too. Is there anywhere else you can qt it? (in the 10gal, maybe? Sorry, I don't know anything about your tanks, so can't really give advice.)

Good luck!
PPJ
Thank you for the reply. The tank is looking a bit ruff at the moment I just cleaned it and I am working on taking some of the plants out for the new tank. Unfortunately I have no where to quarantine the fish. To me it doesn’t look fluffy. He’s the one in the back kind of swimming at an upward angle the white spot is on the other side but the other fish are covering him. There also seems to be some brown gunk inside him that I do t really see in any of the other fish

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 31
The first thing I notice is how terribly thin the blue neons are

The black neon at an angle is very caved in. I see what seems to be a curved back and a flattened stomach. If that isn't the camera angle, it's either:
lack of food;
gut parasites, probably tapeworm types;
an internal infection.

The patch doesn't show in the photo.

Good luck!
PPJ
Thank you for the reply. The tank is looking a bit ruff at the moment I just cleaned it and I am working on taking some of the plants out for the new tank. Unfortunately I have no where to quarantine the fish. To me it doesn’t look fluffy. He’s the one in the back kind of swimming at an upward angle the white spot is on the other side but the other fish are covering him.

I finally got a picture of the patch. A lot of the time I feed my fish and they don’t eat I am not really sure why that is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 22
If they don't eat when you feed them that's generally a really not good sign.
Even if they don't have stringy white poop, would highly recommend looking at this link.
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/what-to-do-if-your-fish-has-stringy-white-poop.466276/

As others have said, it's probably a worm issue, which would explain the caved-in stomach. You may have to euthanize if it gets worse. Without a qt tank, you may have to euthanize anyway if it turns out to be contagious. Even a glass container (That's what I have used in the past, not having a qt tank) someone where the temperature is not cold or prone to dramatic changes is good if you're like me and hate to kill things that may have a chance.

Sorry, I am still learning a lot, so not sure what the white patch could be. Is it sunken/protruding/does it move/change colour? Hopefully someone else can help.

Also, am I the only one that thinks the neon tetra on the right of the previous photo looks like it has an incredibly bent spine? That's generally not a great sign either... unless it's just the photo?

Good luck!

Unfortunately the fish died I am not sure what it was or if it is contagious. The fish do eat but only at night and I feed them morning and night so I will just feed them at night from now on. The picture does look kind of weird I haven’t noticed any super curved spines so I think it’s just the picture. I will check when I get home from school just to make sure.

It may be worth treating for worms to see if this helps the remaining fish, if they're not eating much there could be a wider issue.

Most reactions

Back