Fish is Blind in One Eye

FoundMoney

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have posted a couple of thread regarding a pair of cockatoo cichclids I purchased about 3 1/2 weeks ago. In case you didn't follow those threads, the male died after a few days. The female looked like she was going to go, too, but has survived and now seems quite healthy except for one thing - she has a problem with one of her eyes.

About 5 days after being in the tank and about a day after the male died, I noticed the fishes eye was cloudy and bulging. I researched the ailment but had a difficult time determining exactly what the cause was. I decided to take a conservative approach and just maintained good water quality and did not add any chemicals or meds to the tank. Perhaps this was a mistake and may have caused permanent damage.

The fish seems well acclimated, healthy and has a good appetite. However, the eye, while not bulging anymore, is a bit cloudy and has a tiny white ball in the center, almost like a pupil. The condition seems to have remained the same for about a week. She is apparently blind in this eye as she sometimes has trouble seeing food on that side of her head.

Questions:

1) Will this condition ever improve?
2) Should I do anything to treat it now that it does not seem to be getting any better?
3) Is it safe to add any other fish to the tank? - none of my other fish ever developed and symptoms
4) Can I still add another pair of cockatoos? Will the fish have trouble defending herself from a male or other small cichlids?

My original idea was to have 1 male and 2 female cockatoos but now I'm afraid to add any other fish into the tank that might either develop the same problem or worse yet, attack this one eyed fish. I've grown quite attached to her and after "nursing her back to health" would hate to put her in harm's way.

Popeye!?
I think she's probably got popeye.

You'll need to get some meds for her right away - hopefully the eye isn't too far gone.

Thanks for your response, but from what I've gathered so far, it might not be popeye. Can popeye effect only one eye? I thought it would effect both eyes. Also, although the eye was bulging at first it is not really swollen. It is cloudy, with a white spot in the middle of it.

If it were to be popeye, what medication would be used to treat it? What effect would it have on the other fish in the tank and on the plants?

I found this article which would lead me to believe that if the fish is otherwise healthy, the best course of action would be not to add any medication. Of course, if I research long enough I'm sure I could find information to the contrary.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article26.html

Might be cataracts. Cataracts are when the eye has white or grey 'material' covering it or a white spot in the middle. I'm guessing you could use some sort of fungal remover like Eye Fungex by Aquatronics.

Most reactions

Back