Fish In The Bathroom Sink

matttail

Reaction score
I was hoping that someone might be able to answer a couple questions for me. I'm an artist, working in sculpture and photography. I've plans to make a sculpture piece that I'd want to keep some live fish in, probably just two goldfish. I've picked up an used bathroom sink, and I'm going to have the water flow through a clay figure... yeah, he's gonna be peeing on the fish. lol

Two questions really, do you know if there's going to be contaminates in the clay? It's basically earthware, and of course no lead glazes (coloring).

And, the sink has been used before and I scrubed it with comet when I got it. If I use a fresh spounge and some salt, with lots and lots and lots of rinsing should that get it clean, or do you have an sigguestions? Also there's going to be a bit of stainless steel and pvc for the drain. I figure on having a filter and pump be outside of the 'tank' - I'll take the water out through the drain, then filter, airate and return it through the figure. I'll probably end up making the filter my self so that I can get a good filter and a pump with enough umph to push the water high enough.

I doubt that you've been asked these questions before, but if you've any tips, hints, or sigguestions I'd be greatful to hear them. Thanks in Advance!

--matttail

stainle4ss steel is none reactive, so shouldn`t cause a problem,

the earthenware won`t be a problem aslong as its baked right, there may be an issue with how many fish you can fit in the sink, as there isn`t alot of room in there, make sure they are the smallet fish you can,

a normal external filter with some minor adaptions would work for what your thinking (i`m assuming your fairly hand with the art of bodging stuff)

will the sink be on a plinth as it would be in aw normal bathroom? if so this could hold a reservior the would hold the filter inlet, (provided you have the pug out, wich would also alow the fishy poo to hopefully get sucked into the plug and not look quite so nasty)
the actual frilter housing may be a bit of an issue to hide but it also depends on what sor4t of set up you are going for...

hope this helps

Not to be mean, but goldfish probably wouldn't be your best choice for this unless you're only planning on having it set up for a couple of days? If it's gonna be a semi-permanent thing, goldfish get too large for a sink. You might be better off concidering a betta or some other small staying sub-tropical or coldwater fish.

I do assume it's gonna be art only and won't be used to run hot or cold water through, right?

in the short term a pair of juvie goldfish would be ok, a month or to before they grow to big for it

I do assume it's gonna be art only and won't be used to run hot or cold water through, right?

No, definatly no hot and cold water - only an art display.

I was only thinking gold fish becuase I've heard they're fairly hardy, but a betta would be beatiful! I like that idea a lot.

Thanks for the help, I'm feeling confident about continuing with this, you guys are great.

--Matttail

Yeah, totally need pics of this when finnished. A betta would be perfect :)

Yeah, totally need pics of this when finnished. A betta would be perfect :)

I will definatly post pics when it's done. But be patient, it's going to be a bit. The school semester starts in a couple of weeks and it going to be one of my first projects so look for pics in a month of so I think.

One thing you need to be cautious about is, most bettas dislike current. Some can tolerate a weak current, and a few like strong current, but most flail about helplessly when the water moves at all. They are used to standing water.

Besides a betta, I am not sure what you could fit in there. Definitely not goldfish - the goldfish in a bowl concept is a myth, and it's the reason why you always hear of goldfish being flushed down the toilet - they can't handle such small spaces and often grow to over a foot in length.

Just some background info on the fishes for ya.

anything that you've used a household cleaner on should be thoroughly rinsed with clean water. the sink can just be stood in the shower for 10-15 minutes; i'd flush out any tubing and the statue using a garden hose.

the paradise fish is a relative of the betta that would probably be better suited to your purposes. paradise fish are extremely hardy and can be kept at any temperature between 55-85 deg F. they fight just like bettas, however, so only one paradise fish per container. a paradise fish would also not be as bothered as a betta would by turbulent waters. (the fountaining aspect of your project would probably drive a betta batty.)

might i also suggest that you fashion a cover to put over the basin whenever it isn't officially on display? fish have a significant tendency to "jump tank" when they're unhappy with their living conditions.

anything that you've used a household cleaner on should be thoroughly rinsed with clean water. the sink can just be stood in the shower for 10-15 minutes; i'd flush out any tubing and the statue using a garden hose.

the paradise fish is a relative of the betta that would probably be better suited to your purposes. paradise fish are extremely hardy and can be kept at any temperature between 55-85 deg F. they fight just like bettas, however, so only one paradise fish per container. a paradise fish would also not be as bothered as a betta would by turbulent waters. (the fountaining aspect of your project would probably drive a betta batty.)

might i also suggest that you fashion a cover to put over the basin whenever it isn't officially on display? fish have a significant tendency to "jump tank" when they're unhappy with their living conditions.

I will definatly flush the sink with lots and lots of water. I'm making the sculpture piece my self and it will be a freshly fired piece of 'ceramics' (which is fired around 1,500 degrees F, so should be fairly free of anything but I'll rinse anyways)

A paradise fish sounds like acool idea, and 'hardy' is alwyas good with me.

Any idea how how a fish can jump? I'm wondering if the sink will be big enough so I can just keep the water level far enough below the edge so he can't make it out. I would definatly hate to come back one day and find my poor fish dead and dried out on the floor. It should be simple enough to cut a piece of plexy glass to cover it up in the evennings and such. Would this fish then also not need airation in the tank, so I can just turn off the water and all?

Here's an other question. What about a light? How much light will a fish need. I'll have to set up some sort of a light with the piece because I'll have no way to insure that room lights are on throught the day. Would say a 5watt bulb a foot or two from the sink be good?

Thanks for all your help so far everybody! You're all great!

really depends what fish your going to get on weather it will jump or not. some are renowned for it, others just do it at times if unhappy, other's never will. not too sure if paradise fish do or not, sure someone will know though.

I have to say I too think a betta is a bad idea because of the current generated by the weeing statue, if you want to see how bad it is for them go into a big chain fish store near you and see how many they have getting blasted around the tanks and completely battered by the current. :no:

as for lighting, unless your planning on putting plants in then don't worry about it, too much lighting in a tank with no plants will give you an algae bloom and the whole sink will probably end up green. In aquariums the lights are just for the plants and for viewing, so just make sure there's enough light around for people to see it and you'll be fine. :good:

good luck

I think a few male guppies would be a good choice.. then you have a very wide choice if you want to work with a colour scheme.. as they come in as many different colours as you can think of. They would work well with the wee fountain too :lol:

i like the above idea a little better than a betta or paradise fish. I didn't read through all of the posts, but I saw where a stainless steel sink was suggested. That would make the betta and the paradise fish uncomfortable, because they'd be able to see their reflection, which would have them flaring constantly (I've used a stainless steel bowl to hold a betta in while cleaning his bowl), thus putting him under stress. Mine treid to bite the sides of the bowl, which could have led to injuries.

A small school of some kind of small colorful fish may do nicely in there.

Most reactions

Back